Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: To do or not to do?!
oldmanmille

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
To do or not to do?!

I'm gonna try and not to make this war 'n peace

As some of you may have noticed in some of my posts I bought a part build and have still not started on it and my missus wants me to sell it or my golf track car. With the recent arrival of our first granchild my time is somewhat focused elsewhere - hopefully you will understand

So, some advice please and hopefully some recommendations:

1.8 zetec - needs the following: starter/alternator/inlet/carbs or?/exhaust manifold + exhaust
Gearbox in place/clutch in place
Needs propshaft
Needs clutch setting/cable
Needs accelerator cable setting up
Needs brake fluid and bleeding
Needs wiring although I will be using the car for the track only so only limited ignition wiring needed I would say.
Needs a new engine mount plate fabricating and welding in place
Needs radiator and cooling hoses

I have been quoted £2200 by a kit car builder close to me to finish off per the above. Most of that cost appears to be coming from him supplying zzr100 carbs and manifold and the mega thing, plus labour to do all the above, oh and put a lightened clutch in.

So, firstly, is that a fair/cheap/expensive price? and secondly, anybody out there you aware of in the Cheshire area that you would recommend or even anyone in the forum who fancies completing in and how much?

The main things if I'm honest is setting up a set of carbs, accelerator and clutch and firing it up. The rest I could do as I don't think the remainder would take much of my time so would get away with 'disappearing' into the garage

Thanks in advance...
John

jollygreengiant

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it your self John. If nothing else it will be a good excuse to disapeer and get some 'therapy' when things do start to get a bit too much.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

oldmanmille

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
it's a strange feeling but I feel overwhelmed especially the carburation bit and getting it all fired up. I can work well with my hands but the brain is lagging behind these days thus trying to put the big stuff off to someone else. In my heart of hearts I wanna finish it myself and maybe that is the conclusion I will reach!

Question just thought of: I have a set of GSXR600 (SRAD) carbs in my office, so if I got an ally manifold made to fit the carbs would they be man enough to prepel the 1.8 zetec lump? Or should I go for ZZr100 or something else?

Also if I did go for the carb route how easy is the megajolt to fit and set up?

Thanks....

David Jenkins

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Can't speak for the carbs, but megajolt is pretty easy as long as you're not fazed by wiring diagrams & stuff. You will need a PC that you can plug into it when installed in the car - a laptop is ideal. I have an antique laptop that I use - it's good enough for setting up MJ.

It also helps if you have a reasonable idea about the way that distributors work - advance curves and the like - when setting up the ignition maps. However, it's easy enough to pick up the basics, enough to get the car running well.

I have never regretted putting it on my x-flow, as it improved it no end.

[Edited on 28/6/07 by David Jenkins]

DarrenW

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Its probs mot too far away. Boggs will make manifold and clean / jet carbs for about £240. Carbs aprox £50. You will need pump, cables, filter = £200.. Boggs set up at the end = approx£100.

MJLJ is great, probs £140 for the bits and £300 all in fitted and running.

So where are we so far - £900. and that is with company doing some bits, you doing easy bits and maybe some searching for parts, so make that £1100 if you contract someone else.

I got prop £60 trade from IMS,normally £110 then bolts and fitting.

Clutch cable id guess £20 + 20 setting.

Cooling - id only fit new rad for someone else so bdget £250 inc decnt pipes etc.

Ad other odds and sods and maybe some VAT then you have your quote justied. Maybe a contingency of 30 - 40 % should be anticipated or others, poss not what you want to hear but seem realistic to me.

oldmanmille

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Darren. If that is what it costs then fine just didnt want to be ripped off. Thanks again mate...
worX

posted on 29/6/07 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John - I've sent you a quick U2U!

Steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.