Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race circuit design
scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/7/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Race circuit design

Just out of interest I thought it would be interesting to read up on race circuit design - things like how corners are designed, different types of corner etc.

I've had a look on google but haven't found anything at all, does anyone know of a good website that might give me a bit of a start? A website would be ideal because I don't really want to go spending any money, at least not at this stage!

Cheers,

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 22/7/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Erm, wat do you intend spending money on, a 5000 acre field perhaps? Then we could all bring our cars for a free thrash round your track!!!!

I would if i had a car but alas i'm toyless but working on it!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/7/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment I'm just after information about how circuits are designed - I'm assuming it's a little more technical than just sitting down and doodling a line that joins up at the ends

And once I've made my millions and have my own track, you'll all be welcome

Pete

[Edited on 22/7/07 by scoobyis2cool]

bilbo

posted on 22/7/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is there anything specifically technical here? A lot of circuits in the UK were originally WWII airbase taxiways and some of the most famous corners in motor racing are just on public roads (e.g. Rascasse, Eau Rouge etc)

What I'm getting at here is it's probably more an art than a science, with a load of luck thrown in?

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

billynomates

posted on 22/7/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used to do a bit of track design myself.

With a scalextric kit.

You could just nick all the best corners from the all the race tracks around the world, and join them together I suppose.

smart51

posted on 22/7/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Think what you like about driving and design a track that will do it. I personally like the hairpin at Mallory park. There's a road near me that is a set of esses from a slow start and it's flat out all the way through. On a track day at Elvington, there was a corner with a 70 MPH turn in and then full throttle after the apex, through an uneven camber into a blind exit. It took a while for me to build up the nerve for that. Most people want at least one long straight to test their top speed. High speed turn ins are a test of nerve and some people like high speed sweeps and others want lots of blistering accelerations followed by tight twisties.

edit:

Make sure you have lots of space either side of the track on each corner. 30m ought to be enough. Put the pit lane entrance and exit off the racing line.

Ooh, and make the turn into longish straights put people onto the right hand side of the track so it's easier for people in BECs to pass on the left without waiting for them to pull over.

[Edited on 22-7-2007 by smart51]

nitram38

posted on 22/7/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
My favourite is Paddock at Brands.
Blind summit apex with camber the wrong way, throws you down the hill so you feel like you are coming off. Just as you think that you are heading for the crowd, the hill up to druids catches you and you feel your head sinking into your neck!
My favourite Brown pants corner!

DIY Si

posted on 22/7/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
As said, I don't think many circuits have been designed, merely evolved from airfields or road circuits. Maybe why you don't see many new ones.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

oldmanmille

posted on 22/7/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rockingham was a specifically designed track and its is crap...

Oulton Park cascades for me

greggors84

posted on 22/7/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
For new circuits such as the ones in the middle east that are built from scratch there is a bit of science and certain FIA regs they have to follow.

Im sure your not allowed corners with increasing radius. What new circuit designers seem to do is try and emulate famous corners.

What you want is gradient! All the best corners have big gradient changes, paddock hill, eau rouge, laguna seca corkscrew etc.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

scottc

posted on 22/7/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
What you want is gradient! All the best corners have big gradient changes, paddock hill, eau rouge, laguna seca corkscrew etc.

nah what you want is dukes of hazard/Knight Rider style jumps. Some old broken bridges should do the trick.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/7/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm some interesting comments. I think you're right in that it's more of an art than a science, but I think there is a surprising amount of science involved in it too. But yeah point taken about just choosing stuff that suits my driving style/preferences and using that. For example I like circuits that have a nice combination of sweeping corners and technical sections, but I hate road circuits that are just one 90 degree turn after another.

Sadly I can't QUITE afford to build my own track yet, but who knows for the future. I thought in the meantime I might get a game with a track editor to let me test out some designs, so here's another question - what's the best/most realistic game with a good track editor, preferably for the PC?

Cheers,

Pete

PS Oh and I definitely like the sound of Dukes of Hazard jumps

smart51

posted on 22/7/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Im sure you're not allowed corners with increasing radius

Why not? They are the best kind: slow in and accelerate out. Ones with decreasing radius are killers. If you don't slow down through the corner, you run out of road.

procomp

posted on 23/7/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the blue book gives some criteria regarding circuit desighn. But is mainly for tarmac stage rallies. The closest i think you will get is to do with kart circuit desighn.

Kart circuits are more redilly built (obviously less space needed). A quick search finds this LINK.

But try searching through the MSA and FIA websites.

Cheers matt

JamJah

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Talks more about drawing conventions rather than what to draw... http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/circuitregs.html

Although Appendix O maybe of use!! =)

[Edited on 23/707/0707 by JamJah]

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, the FIA website has certainly got some interesting stuff on it so I'll have a read through that lot.

Yesterday when I was searching through google I did come across a book written by a designer who has designed several F1 circuits so that could be an interesting read, if only I can manage to find the website again!

Thanks,

Pete

JamJah

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Look up this guy. I'm sure you will have seen his work....

Hermann Tilke

Probably the best regarded circuit designer of late. Not seen any books on him or his architectral parctise though. A few write ups in trade mags though and loads of info on google.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 23/7/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJah
Look up this guy. I'm sure you will have seen his work....

Hermann Tilke

Probably the best regarded circuit designer of late. Not seen any books on him or his architectral parctise though. A few write ups in trade mags though and loads of info on google.

Funnily enough that's the guy I saw mentioned in the book I thought I saw. Turns out it wasn't a book at all, that'll teach me for skimming the page

Thanks for the link,

Pete

greggors84

posted on 23/7/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Im sure you're not allowed corners with increasing radius

Why not? They are the best kind: slow in and accelerate out. Ones with decreasing radius are killers. If you don't slow down through the corner, you run out of road.

Sorry your right, I meant corners that tighten, wasnt thinking when I was typing!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Found one!

After much searching I've finally found what I was looking for (I think!). It's a short series of articles by a guy called Tom Barnard who has been involved in circuit design for many years, and has had a hand in designing Mondello Park and Mallory among others. It's getting late and I haven't really got time to read them now but they look interesting, and I thought I'd put the links up here for anyone else who's interested:

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

I also see he's written a book, which could well be an interesting read.

Cheers,

Pete

EDIT: Ok it wasn't actually very insightful at all, but at least I know there's a book out there, if only I can find somewhere that sells it...

[Edited on 24/7/07 by scoobyis2cool]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.