Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tinted Bike Visors
Avoneer

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tinted Bike Visors

What are they like as a pose to sunglasses?

Thinking mirror or iridium.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ive only tried my smoked visor once and that was on track and i quite enjoyed it

normally with a clear visor i'd be wearing my wileys

[Edited on 9/8/07 by jos]

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

blakep82

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
very good. I've got one, but i don't know what they're like for being road legal. since you can't just take them off at night like sunglasses.

i've got blue iridium, blue on the outside, but actually tinted black

[Edited on 9/8/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Caberg V2 crash helmet. It has an internal flip down tinted visor so is not illegal.
It still has a clear front visor.

OX

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
mines allways on ,just dont get caught out at night ,,cant see sh1t

Benzine

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have an iridium visor on my simpson diamondback (on ebay atm) and the clarity is excellent.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 9/8/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do the iridium ones offer some form of sunlight darkening like shades?

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 9/8/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do the iridium ones offer some form of sunlight darkening like shades?

Pat...

blakep82

posted on 9/8/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
yep, mine, blue iridium outside, black tint on the inside (so everythings darker, and not blue coloured)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 9/8/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OX
mines allways on ,just dont get caught out at night ,,cant see sh1t

That's why you're always covered in it....

STv

PeterW

posted on 10/8/07 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
very good. I've got one, but i don't know what they're like for being road legal. since you can't just take them off at night like sunglasses.

i've got blue iridium, blue on the outside, but actually tinted black

[Edited on 9/8/07 by blakep82]

Grey area this (pardon the pun...) as the law around tinted visors only relates to bikes, as they are legally required for riding. Once you get into using helmets in cars (not legally required) then its a bit of a difficult area as although they are not legal for road use, you can always take a helmet off at night in a car and still be legal....

Cheers

Pete

Benzine

posted on 10/8/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've driven past police a dozen times wearing my iridium visor and they didn't bat an eyelid
Dangle_kt

posted on 10/8/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
TBH you don't want to be wearing one at night anyway, it's a hassel cos you can't see properly and you are always keeping an eye out for a "job's worth" of a cop.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to be able to see clearly - it's better for other road users and more importantly it stops me binning my pride and joy

If you really want to wear a tinted visor and are not sure if it will go dark whilst you are out, then just take a clear one with you, most helmets can have the visor changed in about 10 seconds, others take a minute or two - I have a visorholder which goes round my waist and is softly lined so it doesn't scratch the visor up - they are cheap enough.

oh - and yes, dark visors DO work, but if you are buying one, make sure you splash out on one with a good tint, some are very mild and not worth having, too light to help in the bright sun, and too dark to be safe at night...

Dark visors are brilliant for one simple reason - you look like a meff wearing sunglasses under your helmet

[Edited on 10/8/07 by Dangle_kt]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/8/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I asked a traffic cop about this issue and he admitted that the law was a bit fuzzy, but in his opinion he would take it that if there are regulations in place for spec of helmets for bikes then if wearing one in a car you should conform to the same regs.

I guess wearing lids in an open top car is similar in a way to a spare tyre, you don't legally need to have one, but if you do it must be road legal, and in this case they take the legislation applied to bikes as its the closest relevent set of guidelines.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.