Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Dirty Little Secret
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
My Dirty Little Secret

I almost don't want to ask this as I'm sure its going to turn out bad. I was under the car the other day and for some reason decided to measure the front track width roughly and I noticed that there seems to be a difference of 5mm from the centre line to a point on one wishbone compared to the other. I'm really peed off with this, it must have happened when I had to redo the mounts after I bought Locost bones instead of the Sierra ones. Is this going to be a major problem and am I best to saw them off and redo them

DIY Si

posted on 20/9/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
For a road car I wouldn't bother if you're much further down the line. If it's a fairly simple matter to fix, then I might think about it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

RazMan

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just pretend you didn't measure it - it'll be fine

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Do you really think it'll be fine, its just for road use. Its really bothering me to carry on any further thinking that it'll be pulled at SVA for some reason. I've basically got to start with the wiring and put a few panels on which I haven't got yet then that should be the car all done. To alter it means to chop off and grind the offending mounts hoping not to damage the chassis below then reweld.

mookaloid

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure your centre line is accurate?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
^ That's summat that has occurred to me which is why I roughly measured it. I'm to scared to go back and do it properly

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd make sure you go back and delete this old thread if you ever decide to sell your car on here!

DarrenW

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
i cant imagine it would make a difference. It would be intersting to know what the tolerance is for the same measurement on a std production car. I bet they are not exactly spot on.

Better way to measure is to start with the track width. Half it. Chalk the line on chassis point and measure each side from there. Might not be much of a diffreence then

Bob C

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
only 5mm out - you're trying too hard.
no wonder you've not finished yet........
Bob

BenB

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
That's not too bad. I read something recently in Practical Classics (? or Classics monthly) about someone who found a similar thing on his "classic". Got really worried until he measured a few others of the same type and found they were all the same.

I'd say ignorance is bliss

JAG

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
As a rough estimate the track width of our cars is about 1500mm or 1.5M.

Then 5mm = (5/1500) x 100 = 0.33%

I really don't think that much will make ANY difference and I would bet most cars are the same or worse, whether they're road or race cars

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
And don't worry about SVA picking up on it. They won't be measuring it and provided the car is structurally sound then it's not an issue.

Modern production car tolerances are pretty small these days, but that's after millions of £££££££s of R&D, tooling, manufacturing plant, testing, measuring etc isn't IMHO a fair comparison.

James

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the Austin Princess was 1" longer down one side than the other.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Peteff

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I was laughing after I read this, my old Mini had one front wheel 3/4" further back than the other when I measured it and it drove perfectly.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bartonp

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
There's more than 5mm 'compliance' in your tyres....and the assorted bushes etc.
nitram38

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I was laughing after I read this, my old Mini had one front wheel 3/4" further back than the other when I measured it and it drove perfectly.

Some cars have "setback" which is to allow for camber in the road. This is one front wheel slightly further back than the other.
I once had a porsche that used to wander to the left and I had it tracked and they said it had no setback. I drove it on the right hand side of the road and it wandered to the right!

Dusty

posted on 20/9/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you re-measure the track, divide by two and mark a new centre line all should be well!
speedyxjs

posted on 20/9/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Dirty Little Secret

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I'd make sure you go back and delete this old thread if you ever decide to sell your car on here!

I thought this thread was about the all american rejects

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Hellfire

posted on 20/9/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Some cars have "setback" which is to allow for camber in the road. This is one front wheel slightly further back than the other................

You're having a laugh aren't you?.......... Surely that can't be right.........

Phil

graememk

posted on 20/9/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
mistergrumpy, panic not dear friend i have a ditch loving indy and as of yet the rear end hasnt given me any probs so i wouldnt worry amout your 5mm.

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've just sorted it. It really was playing on my mind having visions of the steering trying to do wierd things and favouring a clowns car. I already had the front in bits after trying to sort my side panels so I've just gone and sawed off the bracket and remeasured (4 times!) then rewelded. All in it wasn't really too bad of a job. I had visions of summat going badly wrong and having to replace the whole chassis section or summat. I do get worried when summat goes so straight forwardly though, only one grazed knuckle!Thats good going I reckon. I'll sleep better tonight now I think.

PeterW

posted on 20/9/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Modern production car tolerances are pretty small these days, but that's after millions of £££££££s of R&D, tooling, manufacturing plant, testing, measuring etc isn't IMHO a fair comparison.

Ever seen a modern Landrover....?? The door gaps can be seen from space....

Usually down to the 'brand new' hinges being made of monkey metal...

Cheers

Pete

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
After serving in the forces I'm aware of land rover tolerances too well and the 'monkey metal' they're made of Hmm. Makes my 5mm seem tiny

nitram38

posted on 21/9/07 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Some cars have "setback" which is to allow for camber in the road. This is one front wheel slightly further back than the other................

You're having a laugh aren't you?.......... Surely that can't be right.........

Phil

No

David Jenkins

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Well, I've just sorted it. [...] so I've just gone and sawed off the bracket and remeasured (4 times!) then rewelded.

You're just as bad as me! I don't know how many times I've found something a bit wrong, said to myself 'it won't matter', then gone and fixed it anyway as I knew that it would bother me if I didn't!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.