Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone see a problem with this?
RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone see a problem with this?

I want to use my fog lights as an extra pair of brake lights when it's not foggy so I have come up with the following solution. The theory is that it should enable the fog light to work independently when required (when the fog switch is pressed) without back feeding to the existing brake light.

Can anyone see any problems?
What type of diode do I need to use? Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
fog lights have to be a certain distance from brake lights, nut sure what it is though (300mm?)

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

AdrianH

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think that should work, one thing that does spring to mind is you may also be supplying the fog warning light switch on the dash and lighting that every time you put the brakes on.

It may be a MOT failure if this happens as I believe the light must only be on when "FOG's" are on.

I have an LDV that had an interior light on the fog switch so glowed at night and a keen MOT informed me it would fail. You could always use another diode to stop the voltage going back to the switch!

Cheers

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

macdave69

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
100mm
RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
fog lights have to be a certain distance from brake lights, nut sure what it is though (300mm?)

Ah but my lights are like this to start with

[Edited on 26-9-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Rearlights3.jpg
Rescued attachment Rearlights3.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
something like a 1n4001 should do it,

as said another between the switch and fog light should stop the dask warning lamp coming on

hth

Ray

rayward

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
something like a 1n4001 should do it,

as said another between the switch and fog light should stop the dask warning lamp coming on

hth

Ray

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I think that should work, one thing that does spring to mind is you may also be supplying the fog warning light switch on the dash and lighting that every time you put the brakes on.

It may be a MOT failure if this happens as I believe the light must only be on when "FOG's" are on.

I have an LDV that had an interior light on the fog switch so glowed at night and a keen MOT informed me it would fail. You could always use another diode to stop the voltage going back to the switch!

Cheers

Adrian

Like this? Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light2.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light2.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

rayward

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
yep, should work

Ray

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, another cunning plan to stop tailgaters

Cheers,
Raz

iank

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Excellent, another cunning plan to stop tailgaters

Xenon strobe in the back window

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I usually find a good dab on the loud pedal gets rid of them

Cheers,
Raz

westf27

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Drop down no. plate and gun barrell poking out
andyharding

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
My tintop has "variable intensity brake lights".

Under normal braking just the 2 brake lights come on. If you throw down the anchors then the tail and fog lights are also turned on so your plan must be legal.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

stuart_g

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
having the fog lights come on with the brake lights is going to be really annoying for people behind you. fog lights are bright and annoying enough when idiots leave them on 3 weeks after the last time it was foggy let alone having them come on every time you brake. not a good idea IMHO
Phil.J

posted on 26/9/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
a lot of the legislation about fog lights came in after people got pissed off with idiots who connected them together with brake lights, and they always seem to be the ones who don't know how to use the handbrake in traffic queue's.
Just don't do it, please!

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I can appreciate what you are saying and maybe I should revise my plan a little. I know how irritating it is to follow a car with foglights switched on in the rain.

I will look at making the fogs dual brightness and just have them as an extra pair of tail lights (at the lower brightness level of course) but the fogs (brighter level) can still be switched on when required.

I quite like the variable intensity idea though It must need a two-stage pressure switch which is probably as rare as hens teeth.

[Edited on 26-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

cloudy

posted on 26/9/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
bear in mind a diode will have on average a couple of volt drop across it. This might in fact be helpful to you...
Confused but excited.

posted on 26/9/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Doides normally drop 0.7 of a volt across them. IIRC.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

NeilP

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Raz,

A nice bright led pinboard display with a few choice messages preloaded?

Obviously all keen to get a close look at your paint finish...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
All of my lights are LEDs so I am not sure how that will change things.
Come to think of it, if I am only going to have the tails switched on (using the brake part as the fogs) I won't need any diodes now.

It simplifies things a bit Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light3.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake & Fog Light3.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

NeilP

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Raz,

What do you want to do - Just have effectively two pairs of brake lights? (As you've sketched) Have the second set come on when you press the brake pedal hard? (a two tier pressure switch) or where you are braking hard? (could use an inertia micro-switch???)

Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

darrens

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
Drop down no. plate and gun barrell poking out

I like that, where can I buy one, and can I have the button for it on the gear knob!!

AdrianH

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can not see a problem personally with having a third brake light. Many cars have another 21 watt light stuck in their rear window.

There are enough of those LED strip lights around could you not mod and build one in to the rear spoiler or rear window area.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
There are enough of those LED strip lights around could you not mod and build one in to the rear spoiler or rear window area.

Already did that Adrian - so on second thought, an extra pair of brake lights might burn out a following driver's retinas There would be five of the little buggars!

Cheers,
Raz

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.