Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dipped beam angle
smart51

posted on 18/10/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
dipped beam angle

Do dipped beam headlights have to slope up to the left or can they be level? How much do they have to slope if they do?
iank

posted on 18/10/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
There are horribly complicated diagrams in the SVA manual in section 9.3 (which unhelpfully isn't in the dodgy pdf) which show headlamp aim and kickup/breakpoint/horizontal cut-off limits.

Unfortunately I don't own a scanner and the text makes no sense without the diagram (to be honest it's all greek to me even with the diagram).

If no one else has the manual+scanner I'll have a scout around the family to see what can be done at the weekend.

[Edited on 18/10/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 18/10/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
It definitely requires a 15 degree kick up to the left.

[Edited on 18-10-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment SVA Headlights.jpg
Rescued attachment SVA Headlights.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
For a really accurate drawing, look on Page 34 in this pdf: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r112r1e.pdf

The dimensions are for measurement on a screen 25m from the vehicle.

iank

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the monochrome scan has lost the big yellow splodge illustrating the beam shape expected.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 19/10/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I read the book, didnt understand a word, chucked it to one side and set up lamps with vertical board just in front of the car. I marked the headlight centre points on the board. Made sure full beam brightest spot was on the centre mark. Switched to dipped and observed the beam dropped a touch and moved to the left. Then rotated the lens so the horizontal bit was horizontal, the angle is then a product of the headlight itself. Passed SVA no probs and tester even commented that they were very accurately set - which was nice.

Surprisingly easy to do in the garage.

iank

posted on 19/10/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
From the other thread about getting an E-mark, I think smart51 is trying to manufacture some LED headlights that throw the correct beam shape.

--
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 21/10/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
This is the published beam pattern. Do I have to fill the unshaded area or do I have to make no light in the unshaded area?

None of the headlights on my cars fill the unshaded area but that doesn't mean they're not supposed to. Rescued attachment dipped beam.jpg
Rescued attachment dipped beam.jpg

rusty nuts

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Newer Porsches do not have the 15 degree kick up they just have a flat top to the beam pattern. Believe the same applies to other new cars as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.