Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Q plated and need to tax.
westf27

posted on 2/4/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Q plated and need to tax.

In my second year following SVA and again the tax reminder says I need MOT.It said that last time but the online tax application had a button to delete tthe MOT requirement.This seems to have disappeared now,anyone else had this.Maybe its changed,could try and blag it up the post office with first reg date.Comments welcome
caber

posted on 2/4/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Do it online it usually works out that it doesn't need the MOT based on date of first registration.

Good luck

Caber

ChrisS

posted on 2/4/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
In my second year following SVA and again the tax reminder says I need MOT.It said that last time but the online tax application had a button to delete tthe MOT requirement.This seems to have disappeared now,anyone else had this.Maybe its changed,could try and blag it up the post office with first reg date.Comments welcome

Hi

This is a problem with the DVLA computer apparently, as its not intelligent enough to know what newly registeres Kit Cars need an MOT.

A case of "Computer Says No" I have an email from DVLA that states this is the case.

Regards

smart51

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've had this. The DVLA call centre drones are no better than the computer. The last one I spoke to was also quite patronising "now what does a Q plate mean? It is a car of undetermined age..."

Go to the post office.

derby allen

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Q Plate

Not sure i understand the post correctly but to my knowledge a Q plate needs an Mot before it can have a reg and every year after, not like a car with either a New plate or an age related that doesn't need one for 3 years,
bob

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
My cars on a Q plate and i dint MOT for 1st three years, DVLA agreed there have been some mistakes in the paperwork.
I taxed at the VRO the 1st time when i registered car, 2nd time online no probs,3rd time online was a no go so i took the V5 to the PO which stated 1st registration date and they didnt argue.

But at the end of the day how much does an MOT cost ? MOT test must be the cheapest checkover you can get at a garage priced per hour.
Also they might spot a safety issue even on a car thats only been on the road for a few thousand miles,dont get me wrong i am all for not paying the gov money if i dont really have to but an MOT isnt the end of the world.

BenB

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I sent a stroppy letter, a copy of a letter confirming I didn't need an MOT on my Q-plate for the first 3 years and a cheque recorded delivery to my local DVLA office. A new tax disc came by return

U2U me if you want a copy of the letter from DVLA stating you don't need one on Q's for the first 3 years....

westf27

posted on 2/4/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,useful info.Too much of my hard earned goes to this government,this bit is unecessary and nearly funds a speeding ticket which i will get when this crap weather finishes!!!
greggers

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly only about £3 goes to the government for the MOT Cert, most of what you are paying is to the garage in labour costs, and as someone has already said it's a good cheap safety check of the car.
02GF74

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
sorry but I have to laugh

whenever the q-plate vs age-realted registration discussion comes up, the Q-platers says there is no difference, well, I think we can see there are advantages to an age-realted plate

just need to remember to point to this link when it comes up again. Incidentally isn't it time someone asked about making a chassis from aluminium?

bob

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Q plate not having an emision test at MOT, i'll have a think about wethers its a disadvantage.

Anyway, i seem to remember a few people with age related have had the same prob so it must be a DVLA glitch.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.