Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Injured Gearbox
greggers

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Injured Gearbox

Did our first track-day of 2008 on Saturday at Woodbridge Airfield, which in all was very enjoyable.

However, towards the end of the day the car started jumping out of 3rd gear under heavy acceleration which suggests a problem with the gearbox possibly a damaged cog?

The car is running an old Fireblade 893 engine and we've been toying with the idea of a new engine for a while, i suppose this gives us another excuse.

The options I have are:

1. Repair Gearbox, could be very time consuming and don't know what's wrong with it. On the other hand it could be something simple and cheap.

2. New gearbox from a breakers although not sure how easy they are to find and whether newer Firblade engines have the same gearbox.

3. Complete engine and gearbox from a more recent Blade or Blackbird.

4. A friend is willing to donate a Yamaha Fazer engine and box. But I'm not sure how different the mounts are yet or how powerful the engine is.

Any thoughts?

Hellfire

posted on 7/4/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a damaged gear and more than likely a damaged shift fork too. The problem is that unless you strip it down before fitting, you never really know the condition of the gearbox before putting the engine in a BEC.

We had the same symptoms with our blade engine shortly after fitting and it needed 2nd gear replacing along with the shift fork. I'm sure you could source the parts required to rebuild it from people on here. Try Andy at AB Performance.

Phil

worX

posted on 7/4/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
1. If you repair it yourself that would obviously be cheaper than paying someone to do it, but could still end up costing you too much money.
You are looking at £90 each per gear if a cog is damaged, and then the price goes on from there, selectors and so on.

2. New gearbox might be a bit tricky to find...

3. complete engine from a newer Blade would be the first choice and least costly. The mounts on a 893 and a 919 are the same... Bird is different mounts, so if you are going to change you may aswell upgrade properly... (Bird's don't have the best reputations although plenty have used them ok)

4. I wouldn't bother with the fazer engine as you would once again have to have a new cradle made etc...

All in all, your best bet is to find a damaged bike with an 893/919 in it and then sell the bits off that you don't use. You will find that you could do it all and hardly be out of pocket... Using the same engine means you don't have to also change things like Loom/Exhaust etc.

Alternately, use this opportunity to do a proper upgrade, but that sort of thing costs money!

Steve

Danozeman

posted on 7/4/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to watch that on sat but my daughter was ill so i couldnt go. I wanna have a watch before i race it. Was it any good?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

greggers

posted on 7/4/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the speedy responses.

A 'proper' engine upgrade like going to a busa/zx14r is a bit too pricey for me at the moment. The cheapey 893 Blade engine definately still puts a smile on my face and as I'm still learning the limits of the car it seems pointless adding even more power. I think we'll try and source another Fireblade 898/919 engine/gearbox. I'll then strip the other engine down partly for curiosity and possibly to repair so we have a spare.

The day was pretty good, we'd wathced one late last year and for £109 including an extra driver you aren't going to find cheaper.

The track is a little bumpy in places and you have to avoid the old landing lights (think giant cat's eyes that don't retract into the road) oh yeah and there are a few unfriendly looking concret hangars that could be nasty (protected by some feeble straw bales).

The whole day was only stopped twice, once by a guy who managed to roll a Toyota Starlet 3 times. He then somehow managed to get a go in the Audi R8 that turned up, he was powersliding it with his hand in a bandage! Impressive if a little crazy. The only other time it was stopped was for a mini who managed to get a puncture.

There were some pretty crazy cars there and a few very nice kits. 2 lovely looking Westfields, a Dax with a Busa engine and a Tiger as well as the usual assembly of Caterhams.

Andy B

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just spotted your post
give me a call on 01449 736633 - I am more than happy to talk you through the various options and costs - including DIY repair. I pretty much know what has gone in your box - seen that many.
I definately have an 893 gearbox on the shelf or individual gears for a repair.
You wont be able to swap for a later box as the backlash gear on the crank and output shaft and clutch are different and will through up some real headaches.
Hope that helps
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.