Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really annoying PC problem...random re-boots
Alan B

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Really annoying PC problem...random re-boots

Problem as above.

PC will re-boot without warning at anything from 20 minute to 3 hour intervals. It's not a complete power loss as it comes back up by itself..just as if it's restarting.

It happened a while back and virus scan seemed to fix it..but now it has returned.

Any ideas?..it is driving me mental (short drive I admit)

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Could be something as simple as a faulty power/reset button, that's happened to me before.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

do you have the option to got back to an earlier saved version of the system? that's what I do when it goes tits up.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

twybrow

Mine does this! I am curious as what others say.... Mine also comes up with Kernel problems. I am thinking a format and re-install might be the only way forward.

vinny1275

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Getting hot, or getting a blue screen, then rebooting? To tell if it's a blue screen, right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and press the Startup and recovery button. in teh System Failure area, take the tick out of the box that says "automatically restart".

Next time it happens, you'll just get the blue screen of death, with an error message. make a note of that and search Microsoft or google for it - it's normally a dodgy device driver or something that causes it.

HTH

Vince

Alan B

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Could be something as simple as a faulty power/reset button, that's happened to me before.

Cheers,

I thought that too...but if I simply interupt the power to simulate that, it doesn't reboot....very puzzling

meany

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
my old pc used to that (win98se) never dis get to the bottom of it

vinny1275

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
do you have the option to got back to an earlier saved version of the system? that's what I do when it goes tits up.

Mr Whippy, do you do anything all day but post on here? Every post I look at was either posted by you or replied to by you!! Don't let the boss catch you with the web logs.....

Alan B

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
Getting hot, or getting a blue screen, then rebooting? To tell if it's a blue screen, right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and press the Startup and recovery button. in teh System Failure area, take the tick out of the box that says "automatically restart".

Next time it happens, you'll just get the blue screen of death, with an error message. make a note of that and search Microsoft or google for it - it's normally a dodgy device driver or something that causes it.

HTH

Vince

Sounds worth a try...cheers....no blue screeen yet as I've seen but I will try your idea..

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
quote:

Mr Whippy, do you do anything all day but post on here? Every post I look at was either posted by you or replied to by you!! Don't let the boss catch you with the web logs.....

the boss is on the web booking holiday...

I have this site on the screen all day, easy work here most of the time

[Edited on 8/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

mackei23b

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Blaster virus used to do this with XP
vinny1275

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
the boss is on the web booking holiday...

I have this site on the screen all day, easy work here most of the time

[Edited on 8/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fairy snuff.........

r1_pete

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Turn automatic recovery off, then run virus scan to get rid of anything nasty, I cant remember which bug it was but there was one which recovered itself via auto recovery following a virus scan.

As already suggested check connections etc, also that the motherboard is well insulated from the case, I've seen an occurence of this where the case just touched the back of the board, (heat expansion etc), earthed something out, wiped the bios, and caused a re-boot.

greggers

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Could also be cr*p RAM.

I had this problem with an old PC went through and changed almost every component before I changed the RAM, which finally did the trick.

and before someone says a memory diag tool should pick up any errors none I tried ever did.

If you have two sticks of RAM take one out and try it, if it still does it put the other one back in. Failing that change all the RAM.

viatron

posted on 8/4/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
just had exactly this issue with a customers machine, faulty power supply. have also seen it with faulty ram.
jlparsons

posted on 8/4/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Your power supply could be packing in. Go into your bios settings, there should be a page in there telling you what voltages are being produced. If they're low, there's your problem.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Alan B

posted on 15/4/08 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well this is what I did.....I took the side cover off knowing that it must affect the cooling one way or another.....and it's not crashed since.

So I assume it must be a overheating problem causing the random re-boots..

Thanks for all the good help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.