Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto dipstick leak
mat.price

posted on 17/8/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
pinto dipstick leak

Has anyone had the some trouble?
The dipstick on my pinto leaks all the time where it meets the engine
i’ve use liquid metal to try to stop it and at the moment i’ve been using ptfe tape but know the oil starting to leak again!!
What have other people done to stop it??
Thanks for any help
Matt

mookaloid

posted on 17/8/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
mmmm they are a bit tricky.

It's important to make sure there's no crankcase pressure building up to force oil out by having a good breather system as well as using a sealing compound of some sort.

Also consider bracing the tube near the top with a bracket so that it doesn't move around and break a good seal.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

stevec

posted on 17/8/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps take the tube out, get a pair of pointed pliers and carefully flair the end the tube slightly. This will make it a tighter fit. Then degrease the tube and the hole and loctite it back in.
Steve.

mat.price

posted on 17/8/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
im looking into crankcase pressure build up but i have not seen anyone using anything different then the standard pvc vaule?
as for the breather system i have the some setup as most people?

bob

posted on 17/8/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
When i had my pinto i had the same problem, i found a good clean and degrease of the dipstick tube and plenty of araldite cured the problem.

Liquid metal should have worked, i'm thinking its all in the degreasing 1st so the chemicals can cure.

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
AH! i have this problem too, how do i take the dipstick out without breaking it??
DarrenW

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
It is tricky.
Firstly - make sure dipstick tube is a neat fit and the top bracket is firm so movement is minimised.

Secondly - Crankcase pressure. I had big problems with too much oil. A search for about 14 months ago will reveal the investigation and solution.
Assuming dipstick is correct and oil level is good next look at the valve. If using std carbs, std PCV should work as inlet vacuum opens it to relieve the pressure. However with mult carbs you cant do this. Again loads of posts in searches. Some people replace the PCV with Burton unit. Others modify ford unit (take out ball, plunger and spring so its straight through. Others fit the cortina style oil trap breather (my solution). Ive then fed the outlet to a bottle with biggest bore pipe you can get away with (1/2" for me). Also fed oil cap outlet to same bottle.

For bottle - some people use fancy oil catch tank, others a drinks bottle or various other locost solutions. All seem to work well.

The biggest improvement i got in stopping dipstick leak was improving crankcase breathing. If pressure builds up the engine will force out vapours (and oil) whereever it possibly can - path of least resistance etc.

DarrenW

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
AH! i have this problem too, how do i take the dipstick out without breaking it??

If dipstick is tight in hole then leave it. Dont remove unless absolutely necessary. Look at other potential issues first.

mat.price

posted on 18/8/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
ok people thanks for the info
ill have a look into it and see if that sorts it out

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 20/8/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
you could remove it altogether - tap a thread in the hole bung a bolt in.. manufacture a dipstick of the same dimensions so you can check it when needed.. an old stock car trick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.