Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED Brake light mods for an elec novice - help needed please
clanger

posted on 22/8/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
LED Brake light mods for an elec novice - help needed please

Hello Electrical/Electronic guru's.

Please tailor your answers into simple non electrical terminology please. Most things mechanical engineering is my strong point, electronic/electric black magic is not !!!

Anyway, my problem. I have a little project which involves changing my current normal rear brake light setup of my enduro bike to a hopefully led setup. Normal bulbs do not last long off road !!
I have acquired, shall I say, a suitable 12V rear led light unit, but............its either on or off, if you see what I mean.

How can I get the unit to put out a dual light intensity such as a normal steup for example 5w/21W ?

Can I jam a resitor in sowmehere or somtheing to alter the intensity when the brakes are applied. How do I do this ? At the moment there are two cables coming from the led unit earth or 0V & 12V i'm assuming. The wiring on the bike has 3 cables, earth, 12V to the 5w filament in the bulb and 12v to the 21w filament.

I know its possible to buy off the shelf units for my needs for about £30 but as I've got something, I thought there might be a locost challenge somewhere along the line before I shell out.

Any suggestions or guidance greatly appricated. ?
Cheers

[Edited on 22/8/08 by clanger]

[Edited on 22/8/08 by clanger]

BenB

posted on 22/8/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Use a put a resistor in series with the LEDs. Put a switch (either micro-switch of the brake leverl or a hydraulic pressure switch) in parallel with the resistor.
Finding the right resistor will be a bit of trial and error. You'll need quite a chunky resistor too.
I'd use pissy little resistors to find the right resistance then buy a big chunky fella for the actual bike. The wattage of the resistor will depend on how much juice you're removing from the 12v....

tegwin

posted on 22/8/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget you will need a pair of diodes!!!

Otherwise when you put the brakes on, the front light will come on as well

Consider the diode as a one way valve...

Simply connect the feed ot the 21W side of the bulb straight through the diode into the lights, and feed the 5W feed from the sidelights through a resistor into a diode into the lights....

Without knowing exactly what LEDs you are using I cant suggest a resistor...

But when I build conversion kits I usually use 1/4W resistors of around 200R (ohms)....but it might be a bit of trial and error on your part!

[Edited on 22/8/08 by tegwin] Rescued attachment bike light.JPG
Rescued attachment bike light.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

02GF74

posted on 23/8/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ yep; that circuit wold work - good point about the side lamps.

youo don't need the diode in wire from the brake.

I wold suggest starting with a 10 ohm 2 W resistor and then increasing value if bulb is too bright; decrease if too dim.

alternativey fit diodes in series instead of the resistor - these drop about 0.7 V - about 4 to 6 of these in total would be about right.; some linke 1N4006

tegwin

posted on 23/8/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
You are right, you dont NEED a diode on the brake feed...

But for piece of mind, I think I would anyway!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

clanger

posted on 23/8/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant, thanks boys. Even an elec knob like myself can do that......................I hope
MikeRJ

posted on 23/8/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Or you could just buy a standard LED replacement for the dual filament 21/5 Watt lamp. They are very cheap now, e.g. ebay clicky

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.