Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Switch help please!
contaminated

posted on 6/10/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Switch help please!

I'm in the process of fitting a new dashboard and tidying up the electrics. I'd like to fit some new switches and warning lights - but how do you tell what sort of switch is suitable for which purpose?

At the moment I have a load of toggle switches. Although the fronts are all the same the back of the switches are all different (relays?). Additionally the four warning lights I have on the dash are little lights with a chrome surround - however the rear of them are great big lucas jobbies - metal cylinders about an inch long and half an inch across. Can I just replace with new warning lights and do away with all that?

ta

Dan

phoenix70

posted on 6/10/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Do the switches not have little diagrams on them? if not then you will need to get the multimeter out and check how they work.
02GF74

posted on 6/10/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
At the moment I have a load of toggle switches. Although the fronts are all the same the back of the switches are all different (relays?).
Most unlikley - I am not aware of any switch having a built in relay. The back will be different as swtiches come in a variety of flavours: SPST, SPDT, DPDT etc. <-- Google but in effect is number of contacts or switches inside. Some have additional contacts as they are illuminated.

Additionally the four warning lights I have on the dash are little lights with a chrome surround - however the rear of them are great big lucas jobbies - metal cylinders about an inch long and half an inch across. Can I just replace with new warning lights and do away with all that?
Yes. No idea what you mean by "great big lucas jobbies".
A warning lamp will contain either a small buld or a LED lamp, and should need to have 2 contacts. Be aware that the alternator charge lamp acts as a means to supplyu current to the alternator to enable it to run. A LED bult may not be ab le to supply enough but you can fit a resistor, like wot I did to overcome.

Take a look at Europa Spares; got loads of lamps. Savage look very nice buat are not cheap.

cheaper ones are like the ones I've fitted, see below. Rescued attachment aaa.jpg
Rescued attachment aaa.jpg

contaminated

posted on 6/10/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
EEEK

I'll post some pics later and show you what I mean.

contaminated

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks for the tips. You were right, the differences in the back of the switches is just down to their function (Google was useful!)

With respect to the warning lights I will replace with newer ones. When I disconnect them I'll post a pick. Should save me a KG or two!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.