Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Diesel Vectra problem
x_flow57

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
OT Diesel Vectra problem

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with '98 turbo diesel Vectra fuel pumps.
I have diagnosed that the pump is the problem (electrical pump I think) how are these fitted, it appears to be inside the distribution unit on the side/ft of the engine.

Any idea on price of a new one or should I go to my locak scrappy?

Any help gratefully received

Regards Nick

(Just going out so please don't get upset if I don't reply straight away)

t16turbotone

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
this can be quite a costly problem, the pumps are a known problem on the diesel range, usually knocks out ecu. plenty of diesel vauxhalls on ebay with knackered pumps/ecu ime affraid
dinosaurjuice

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had same problem on a 99 astra dti. The pump is a mechanical distribution pump (a bosch one) with electronic control.

If a mechanical part of the pump has gone there are companies which will recondition it, or if your in a hurry, swap it for a reconditioned one. typically about £300 - £700 - anyone else back this up? the new unit will code its self when plugged in correctly for first time.

If its an electrical problem there is a little ecu on top of the pump which can be changed, but it has to be coded to the main vehicle ECU.

with our car the distribution rotor in pump had snapped. We ended up selling the car to a garage for £300 and he did the repair in his own time, cost him £650 parts including recon pump, then sold the car for £1100. he regrets taking it on, but we dont regret selling it to him!

sorry its a bit doom and gloom but unless your very attached to the car or you can find out its definately an eelctrical fault. its probably not worth fixing

muzchap

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

This is a common problem - and if in the electrical box - can be repaired RELATIVELY easily.

The box suffers against engine vibration and heat, after time you tend to get severe 'Dry Joints'

It's definitely worth stripping out and checking each components connection and where required adding some more solder. I've regularly watched a friend repair 4 boxes like this.

If it's mechanical - it's gonna be expensive

Good luck though...

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

NigeEss

posted on 11/10/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
What are the symptoms you have ?

If it'd difficult starting after a period on ime it could be the little cloth bound return
pipes on the injectors. These perish and allow the fuel to drain back out.

Worth a check.

Wheels244

posted on 11/10/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
As NigeEss says if its a starting problem once been standing check the leak back pipes 1st.
Failing that - could be injector seals - not easy to put right, Vauxhall in their infinate wisdom put the injectors underneath the cam, so it's a cam out job to replace.
If this is the problem, let me know and I'll let you know a quick and relatively cheap way round it ( about £40 it cost me )

[Edited on 11/10/08 by Wheels244]

[Edited on 11/10/08 by Wheels244]

x_flow57

posted on 11/10/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you love it when you type out a carefully worded reply hit post reply and get "Internet explorer can't display page"

Anyway thank you for replies.

The car was starting and running as well as it ever has. I was driving along and it just cut dead, not a sign of even trying to restart. Whilst towing it home I bumped it and it would idle, very badly defo not on all 4.

The code reader says "critical error fuel pump"

I think it's reached the end of the road, it's done 233000 and I was hoping to see 250000. Anyone know how much a car weighs in at these days?

Nick

NigeEss

posted on 13/10/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57Anyone know how much a car weighs in at these days?

Nick

About £75 a tonne at the mo. Dropped right down in the last few weeks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.