Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daily driver - battery or electrical problem?
Fred W B

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Daily driver - battery or electrical problem?

If I don’t use my daily driver 1996 Opel (as seen here) for 2 or 3 days, the battery goes flat. The dash lights don’t come on and it doesn’t even attempt to turn over. If I use it every day is it fine.

The battery is a year and 4 months old. Should I just spend the money and replace it as a first step, or are their some simple checks or trouble shooting I can do first on the rest of the system myself? I have a multimeter but I’m not very skilled with it and do not have any experience with modernish electrical systems.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

mr henderson

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Once you've had it running and the battery is charged up, when you park up try diconnecting the earth lead on the battery. If the battery then keeps its charge for a few days you will know that something is drawing power even when the car is not being used.

You can speed up this analytic process by measuring the current with a meter with the car turned off, or just by seeing if there are any sparks from the battery terminal when removing and replacing the connector

John

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
1st start the car, put the meter across the battery terminals set to volts and see what the voltage is, it'll be quite low while the battery charges 13 odd volts but it should climb slowly reaching around 14v. If it’s around 12v and going down then the alternator is not charging, 15v or more then the alternator is over charging and will damage the battery. Does your battery have caps for filling up the water (distilled only) as it may be low. Try reving the engine, the voltage should not climb above 14v! If there is nothing wrong with the alternator then most likey its then the battery.

Don’t smoke anywhere near this btw

[Edited on 16/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
If there is nothing substantial in the way of sparks as mentioned above, select a high current (amps) range on the meter, then disconnect a battery lead from the positive terminal, then connect the red lead on the meter to the battery terminal and the black lead to the disconnected battery lead, and measure the current. If there is no reading, or a very small reading, select a lower amps range.

Anything more than maybe an amp of draw is the reason for the battery drain, and needs to be investigated. The battery sounds too new to be faulty

Edited to add, Mr W's advice is OK too, he posted while I was typing

John

[Edited on 16/10/08 by mr henderson]

Fred W B

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for quick replies chaps, I'll try your suggestions.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

mad-butcher

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like diode pack in alternator is leaking to earth. as said disconnect battery to check. Battery should be covered under warranty if it's only 16 months old most have 2 year warranty
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 16/10/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
As above. Go for a nice long drive so that the battery is fully-charged then disconnect the +ve battery leads.
Wait for a couple of days, reconnect the leads and try to start the engine.
If no go then the battery is self-discharging and it's shagged. If it starts then you've got a short to earth somewhere (e.g. like the alternator pack diode)......

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
either the battery is losing its charge, unlikley with a battery of that age or else there is something draining the battery when ignition is on.

the latter can be car alarm, radio, lamp in boot - that kind of stuff.

^^^ wot they say.

put multimeter on largest amp scale and connect between battery positive wire and positive cable (red).

If there is a reading then remove the fuses umtil it reads zero.

If it does, then that would identify the circuit at fault and all you do then is to trace back the wires.

if there is still a reading, then you have something wired permanently to live (e.g. after market radio) that is drawing the current.

maartenromijn

posted on 16/10/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the above.

Another thing is that you can have batteries tested at a battery shop/ garage. They can check the power, (dis)charging etc.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

James

posted on 16/10/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'd look for a dicky door or boot switch that might mean the interior lights are on all the time.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

britishtrident

posted on 16/10/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
It could be a few things first thing to do is charge the battery for at least 8 hours. Then allow it to rest for a few hours.

Battery should show about 12.4 to 12.9 volts when you put a voltmeter across it.

Reconnect

First check is to test the battery for a dead cell (sometimes called a gassing cell).
Put voltmeter across the batterry terminnals and get an assistant to start the car while you observe the battery voltage.

To do this you need to measure the battery voltage under very heavy load, without a special tester you can do this by a cranking voltage test ie check the battery voltage when starting..

Test is best done with a decent charge in the battery and after it has been off charge for several hours

For example
12.8 volts then quickly drops to between 9 and 11 volts when starter operated pass Battery is OK

12.8 volts then quickly drops to about 6 volts when starter is operated then the battery is knackered.

12.8 volts then quickly drops to about 6 volts when starter operated but then slowly rises to about 8 volts then the battery is knackered.

If it passes the above go on to check the charging voltage on and off load.

To do this simply check the battery voltage with the engine running at 1800 to 3000 rpm. Battery voltage should now be 13.4 to 14.9 volts.
Repeat the test but with the head lamps and heated rear window switched on -- voltage should not be below 13.4 volts. Now with the engine at the same rpm switch the lights and HRW off -- voltage should remain below 14.9 volts.

If it passes the above test either you have a drain of current when everything is switched off or the battery is simply not holding charge.
To tell which disconnect the battery overnight -- if Ok in the morning the problem is a current drain.

Most likely causes of current drains are
(1) Dud alternator diodes
(2) Aftermarket Radios and CD playes
(3) Boot or glove box light switch stuck on.

[

[Edited on 16/10/08 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 16/10/08 by britishtrident]

Fred W B

posted on 16/10/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wow - thanks for all the responses guys.

I've had a quick look. I charged the battery overnight last night, and drove just the 22 km to work and 22 km back today.

Using the test procedure suggested by BT:
Battery shows 12.5 volts with a voltmeter across it.
Operate starter - drops to 10.4 volts
With engine running at about 2500 rpm, voltage is 14.1 volts.
Add load, voltage drops to 13.7 volts.
Remove load, voltage goes back to 14.1 volts.

Setting multimeter to what I think is the 20 Amp scale, shows 0.33 Amps between battery and terminal.
All internal lights etc seem to be off. Removing the face of the stereo, which should remove only the load needed to power the clock display in the face, multimeter then shows 0.22 Amps between battery and terminal.

So seems I have to get into pulling fuses?

I have to use the car now, but will leave the battery disconnected overnight and see if the voltage drops.

21.00 - volts now 12.7
"edit to add"
this morning, 07.00 - volts now 12.45

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 17/10/08 by Fred W B]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.