Board logo

Brake master
Hopley89 - 20/12/13 at 01:53 PM

Hi
I'm about to order my brake master cylinders but I'm unsure if they have got
To be tandem or single for Iva .. I now they have to be clear for Iva .?
So could do with some help before I order
Thanks dan

Hopley89 - 20/12/13 at 01:59 PM

I will be using a bias bar as well

britishtrident - 20/12/13 at 02:41 PM

If you don't have a detailed knowledge of setting up braking systems then perhaps using a bias bar is not a good idea, they are best use for serious track use only, it is too easy to get temptned into twiddling with the brake balance !which can result in spinning into a hedge when you least expect it.

I would suggest instead you fit a single tandem cylinder. Loads of info in the threads on Fiat or early Fiesta master cylinders.

However if you really want a bias bar set up you need single circuit cylinders, I would suggest a starting with a 0.625" cylinder on the front and a 0.7" cylinder on the rear circuit.

[Edited on 20/12/13 by britishtrident]

Hector.Brocklebank - 20/12/13 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you don't have a detailed knowledge of setting up braking systems then perhaps using a bias bar is not a good idea, they are best use for serious track use only, it is too easy to get temptned into twiddling with the brake balance !which can result in spinning into a hedge when you least expect it.

I would suggest instead you fit a single tandem cylinder. Loads of info in the threads on Fiat or early Fiesta master cylinders.

However if you really want a bias bar set up you need single circuit cylinders, I would suggest a starting with a 0.625" cylinder on the front and a 0.7" cylinder on the rear circuit.

[Edited on 20/12/13 by britishtrident]

+1

Thats a sound bit of advice deviate at your peril.....

theprisioner - 20/12/13 at 04:06 PM

The J15 it has a bias bar, I have it set up road tested and wire locked. The J15 pedal box as supplied cannot accommodate a tandem cylinder otherwise I would have fitted one (no room). My Megabusa has one and it came locked in place. I had labels made up that reflect the IVA law must fit one to the Westie!

Warning
Warning

Hopley89 - 20/12/13 at 04:14 PM

I now how to set up all the braking .. I've done most of it already but I've never set up a bias bar .. So I would of taken it the garage to get done
So bias bar I can have a single
No bias bar have a tandem
Dan

britishtrident - 20/12/13 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hopley89
I now how to set up all the braking .. I've done most of it already but I've never set up a bias bar .. So I would of taken it the garage to get done
So bias bar I can have a single
No bias bar have a tandem
Dan

Garages wouldn't know how to setup balance bars.

theprisioner - 20/12/13 at 05:10 PM

In my opinion you need to make up a temporary jig, to operate the foot brake, to finely tune the bias bar before taking it on the road. The road is the last place to adjust it.

Hopley89 - 20/12/13 at 05:50 PM

I'm going to stick without the bias bar for now .. And
Find someone who nows how to set it up correct for me
As I don't want to mess it up and end up In a hedge
... Thanks tho chaps