Board logo

gas bottle size for mig
luke2152 - 20/8/13 at 08:59 PM

Have just gone halves with a friend on a fairly basic mig welder. Neither of us have any experience and so unsure how big a co2/argon bottle to buy/rent. I'm building a transporter out of caravan chassis. My mate is doing some fairy extensive mods to his quads frame and wishbones. Plus any other bits that need doing on my zero. So I guess it classes as moderate use.

mark chandler - 20/8/13 at 09:34 PM

As big as you can afford, adams gas do a 20 litre which is moveable and will last a long time.

9 litres goes a bit to quickly IMHO

Make sure the first thing you make is a nice frame, when it falls over it will just catch something and smash the regualator, it's the law.

NigeEss - 20/8/13 at 10:50 PM

Brewery CO2 bottles work fine, last well and are cheap at about £13 a refill. I think they are 20 litre. Or you
could pay 3 times that and go for a CO2/Argon mix of similar size.

Don't bother with the small disposable things, total waste of money.

luke2152 - 20/8/13 at 11:20 PM

Do the pub ones use the standard thread. Actually I'm in Germany so might be a different one anyway. But I'll get one next time I'm in UK if its bargain cheap and I can't find similar here.

dhutch - 21/8/13 at 06:16 AM

I used to use a size X from BOC which was very transportable, but switched to a size Y argosheild on the hobbies discount rate as its the only size on the lower rate. Much cheaper, if harder to lug about, lasts me about two years.... but I dont get to use it a lot.

Daniel

benchmark51 - 21/8/13 at 06:19 AM

I use a hobbyweld 5 bottle. One off, returnable deposit, no rental.
Check them out, very happy after 2 years use and much better than pub c02.

http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk

jabs - 21/8/13 at 06:56 AM

Try motor factors, our local one does co2. A returnable deposit on the cylinder and when empty just a fill charge and bottle swap