Board logo

Help plumbing my fuel pump EFI
Front Row Joe - 2/8/11 at 05:38 PM

I have a Bosch pump with a 15mm inlet and a 8mm outlet. The 8mm is no problem. It is getting fuel to the pump that is the problem. What I need to do is get fuel from a tank with a 9mm outlet via a low pressure filter to the pump with a 15 mm inlet.

I can find 15mm pipe etc. However I can't find a filter with the right ends or any reducers which will fit. The pump inlet has an olive type bump on the end so I could use a 16mm pipe here as the seal would still be good(??). But again no suitable reducers etc seem to be on the market.

Somebody else must be using a pump with a similiarly large inlet so any photos / suggections would be most welcome. I have gone cross eyed starring at the screen trying to search for a solution!!

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Mark Allanson - 2/8/11 at 05:44 PM

Luckily standard plumbing sizes are 10mm and 15mm, go to Thompsons and ask for a 10-15mm reducer. this is what I did, I am running standardish 2.0 Pinto injection

GRRR - 2/8/11 at 06:10 PM

Try Googling Pirtek, they have online catalogues and you could use a combination if they don't have one that suite. I would definitely say go for the exact right size i.e. don't try a 16mm bore pipe on a 15 fitting, its enough effort stopping leaks on pipes that do match!

Front Row Joe - 2/8/11 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Luckily standard plumbing sizes are 10mm and 15mm, go to Thompsons and ask for a 10-15mm reducer. this is what I did, I am running standardish 2.0 Pinto injection

Nice idea. Would the standard plumbing ones be suitable for fuel (albeit at low pressure prior to the pump)? Surely there must be a motorsport solution though? Anyone?

[don't try a 16mm bore pipe on a 15 fitting, its enough effort stopping leaks on pipes that do match!]

I thought as much. It just seemed there was a greater selection of 16mm fittings.

Mark Allanson - 2/8/11 at 07:28 PM

"Would the standard plumbing ones be suitable for fuel"

My car passed its 7th MOT recently, no problems

ss1turbo - 4/8/11 at 07:26 PM

Are you sure its a 15mm inlet and not 12mm? The "olived" section may be approaching 15mm, but thats not the nominal size.

BaileyPerformance - 5/8/11 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Front Row Joe
I have a Bosch pump with a 15mm inlet and a 8mm outlet. The 8mm is no problem. It is getting fuel to the pump that is the problem. What I need to do is get fuel from a tank with a 9mm outlet via a low pressure filter to the pump with a 15 mm inlet.

I can find 15mm pipe etc. However I can't find a filter with the right ends or any reducers which will fit. The pump inlet has an olive type bump on the end so I could use a 16mm pipe here as the seal would still be good(??). But again no suitable reducers etc seem to be on the market.

Somebody else must be using a pump with a similiarly large inlet so any photos / suggections would be most welcome. I have gone cross eyed starring at the screen trying to search for a solution!!

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Hi Joe,

The pump has a large inlet for a reason, you should NOT reduce it, keep the 1/2" inlet to the pump right to the tank (modify your tank to have a large outlet). Most Bosch pumps are designed not to require an inlet filter (filter inside pump housing) you will need a filter on the outlet of the pump - i use jag V12 filters as they are high flow and will withstand high pressure.

What are you building?