Board logo

Zetec SE starts badly but idles perfectly - eh?
peterrosey - 16/7/07 at 08:40 PM

Running a 1.6 Zetec SE (Sigma) engine with R1 throttle bodies and Emerald ECU. Once I've got the car running after lots of cranking it runs fine and holds a lovely clean idle (and revs okay, too - is going to be mapped so not too worried about this).

But how come it starts so badly? It has fuel good pressure (4 bar) and I've had the injectors out so I know they're spraying fuel. The battery is a new Red Top type race battery and is always fully charged up. Clearly if it were an Emerald wiring loom issue it wouldn't work with the engine running.

Weak spark? Low voltage (rectified when the alternator kicks in after engine starts running).

Any ideas chaps?

Andy S - 16/7/07 at 08:51 PM

Check the earth strap from the chassis to the engine.

Cheers

Andrew

Danozeman - 16/7/07 at 09:07 PM

Too much fuel on start up so its flooding a bit?

tks - 16/7/07 at 09:39 PM

i would say contrary starting needs excess of fuel..

sow i think not enough fuel...

Tks

Chippy - 16/7/07 at 10:28 PM

Has your Emerald been set up yet, as you need to program in start up, and warm up enrichment. If you are going to get it mapped then they will sort it for you. The reason that it starts eventually is that the engine gets warm as it cranks, the warmer it gets the easier it starts. HTH Ray

austin man - 16/7/07 at 10:49 PM

Have you made sure youve set up the throttle pot sensor ? then there is the open or closed loop on the Emerald. Brotherin law has it on his 2 litre Zetec with throttle bodies. Car has been mapped by none other than Dave Walker and is still a little hesitant on startup

iscmatt - 16/7/07 at 11:43 PM

i found this on my car, my timing was way out, something like 40 deg advance - it eventually started after lots of cranking, now set at 15-16 deg adv and fires like a beaut!

peterrosey - 7/8/07 at 11:06 PM

Just been to Emerald and had Dave Walker rolling road the car. The poor starting turned out to be the crank sender wires the wrong way around. Apparently it will start (about 1 time in 50) with them the wrong way round and then run perfectly.

Swapped them around and it now starts instantly.

pocket rocket - 2/11/08 at 09:54 PM

Hi,
How easy is it to fit the R1 TB's
is it worth the cost/effort?