Board logo

Daylight running lamps/ LED units as sidelights?
villagehoppa - 25/2/16 at 10:48 AM

Hi All,

Quick question about side lights if that is at all possible!! Can I wire up DRL's as side lights so they work as the sidelight function? I'm planning on using a Fiat 500 headlights but don't want to use the seperate side light unit as it would look too much like a 500!! Can I get a nice bright LED lamp unit and use that as a sidelight on it's own switch? Can decipher the IVA manual!! Any help most appreciated.... Many thanks....

loggyboy - 25/2/16 at 11:03 AM

I can only see them falling foul of this:

'All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type'

Side lights are 5 or 10w - DRLs are often brighter.
Its hard to tell with LEDs as wattage doesnt mean much, hence why the reliance is put on E markings.

villagehoppa - 25/2/16 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for that, do you think as long as the led unit is 'e' marked it should be ok?

adithorp - 25/2/16 at 01:15 PM

DRL's are too bright to use as side lights. On tin-tops the DRL's either dim or go out when the lights are switched on. On your 500 units it might be worth checking if thats controlled by a circuit within the lamp; If they dim you'll be OK.
E marks have to be the correct code for the type of lamp it's being used as (listed in an appendix of the IVA guide I think) so it'd have to be the right e mark and not just any lamp with an e mark.
If you fit seperate front side lights with a seperate switch, it'd have to control front and rear sides (sorry sounds obvious but isn't clear thats what you meant).

britishtrident - 25/2/16 at 01:36 PM

The better quality DRL control modules have a dim function to allow the drl to be used as side position lamps -- but it is a can of worms for iva.