Board logo

helmet
whitstella - 1/3/12 at 11:24 AM

hi

the car is nearly finished so i thought about getting a helmet (glasses) some sort of protection for driving in the mk.
i dont know anything about bike helmets so some advice would be good price and make.

cheers steve

loggyboy - 1/3/12 at 11:31 AM

Do you plan on racing/sprinting/hill climb? If so you want a Snell rated one.

Or do you plan to ever use it to ride motorcycle, as generally race approved helmets arent EU arrpoved for motorbikes!

If you just want a cheap one so you dont get hit with flys/stones etc then any closed face helmet would be ok really.

[Edited on 1/3/12 by loggyboy]

owelly - 1/3/12 at 11:40 AM

Some say buy the best as it's your head and once broken, it stays broken. I say try a few on in more than one shop to find one that you like then see if you can afford it! I doubt you'll be able to buy a new helmet that is crap just check the fittings look substantial. If you want a tinted visor, check they're availabe for the lid you choose. If you intend to use gloves, check you can open the visor easily. Some chinstraps are a bit of a faff so check them too.
For me, a quiet lid is good so I wear ones without lots of gimmicky vents and stuff.
Glasses arn't a problem for full face helmets as long as you remember to put your glasses on AFTER you put the lid on, and take them off BEFORE you take it off! Get into the habit of hanging your specs in the same place so you don't lose them! A keyring loop hanging off the dash or on your ign key if its suitably sited works well.

flibble - 1/3/12 at 11:50 AM

I've been looking around/reading up for a new helmet for a week or two and there seems to be a concensus that there's not really much difference in the protection between a £60 crash hat and a £400 crash hat, the extra money will buy more comfort and better design though.

RichN - 1/3/12 at 12:06 PM

Comfort is very important, so try them on. I ride a scooter every day and have just spent £80 on a new one at my local shop. It's a flip front with a sun visor built in.

That said ALDI have some from today for £29.99 which have an EC type approval.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_23490.htm

LIDL had some flip front ones last week with a visor for £39.99, but I've tried them in the past and found them too tight.

loggyboy - 1/3/12 at 12:07 PM

As long as its approved by a reasonable body then you cant really go far wrong.

Im likely to get something like this:
http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Full_Face_Helmets.html#a313

Reasonable price and the latest Snell standard.

blakep82 - 1/3/12 at 12:27 PM

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/shop/helmets/full-face.html?dir=asc&order=price

you should be able to find something you like here, both in looks and price. i think they're all bike racing approved on here. the cheapest one is anyway.

yes its best to try them on, i bought a Takachi Tk110 with a tinted visor. I find it very comfortable, but i didn't try it on first...

if car racing, or bike racing then i'd say get the best you can. since everyone will drive a car without giving any thought to not wearing any sort of head protection, I'm happy that any helmet, even the cheaper end of the range will be safe for road driving

whitstella - 1/3/12 at 12:31 PM

i will only be using it for the road not a track fan (but never say never). what about driving glasses or is helmet a must??

cheers

blakep82 - 1/3/12 at 12:34 PM

glasses will protect your eyes, but won't help from bees and grit hitting your face on a motorway, or wind noise in your ears. will be full face helmet for me!

roadrunner - 1/3/12 at 12:55 PM

One thing I have noticed though, while wearing a bike helmet, and its fairly windy, my head gets tossed about a bit.

loggyboy - 1/3/12 at 01:02 PM

You want something more than just glasses, sealed goggles so that dust, dirt and wind cant get through. I would imagine you could combine googles with a face(mose/mouth) mask. You may just have to put up with the odd fly strike!

The Venom Project - 1/3/12 at 01:29 PM

I buy AGV and FM, they both fit my head spot on, bought the most ridiculous FM one for my bike and cost me £400 I have had it for maybe 10 years, its fine, fits well, is not quiet though.

Bought an AGV one for my Trike, cost £149, beautiful helmet, tinted visor included, fits well, quiet and a good price, with RACING gold sticker on too which my FM did not have.

I think it's personal preference really, Arai, Bell all good makes, but don't pay through to nose for what is becoming a fashion statement over comfort.

I personally think a budget of £150 will see you into most quality helmets, Shark, AGV, FM, Roof etc:

The Venom Project - 1/3/12 at 01:32 PM

Glasses are okay for cruising about low speed, anything fast for comfort and protection requires a helmet in my eyes, both my first Trike and this one do not require use of a helmet, but its a comfort thing for me.

bobinspain - 1/3/12 at 01:49 PM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Try this site. I had plenty of time to trawl through their reviews. They grade all aspects of helmet performance: safety rating, fit, finish, features, comfort etc.
They do make the point that head-shape is crucial for a comfortable fit. (I'm a 'roundhead', so bought a Nolan). They also stress that there's no substitute for trying a helmet on, rather than mail-ordering, (I did the latter).
Webbikeworld also highlight the year's best buys and a top performing helmet can be bought for £60 which rival it's £300 counterparts.

I began a thread on here in the autumn of last year on this very subject which you may find useful. (It'll save re-inventing the wheel).

Good luck. Bob.

maccmike - 1/3/12 at 02:00 PM

fit is really important, find one then log onto to 'sharp' they score helmets on impact and show a cool image. some cheap ones do surprisingly well, Iv got an AGV and a Shark rsr, both good, shark has 3mm visor as dont have a windscreen. Top ones are generally Arai, AGV, Shark... cant think of tuther.

theduck - 1/3/12 at 02:25 PM

I've been giving this topic some thought as I will need a helmet for track days, I dont like full face helmets as I wear glasses and often find my glasses steam up when wearing full face, but I also want some protection for my face from stones etc. I have settled (I think) on going for open face with prescription ski goggles.

Just a thought...

Stott - 1/3/12 at 02:29 PM

If you've got an open top car most tracks won't let you on with an open face helmet as far as I'm aware

Hth
Stott

bobinspain - 1/3/12 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
If you've got an open top car most tracks won't let you on with an open face helmet as far as I'm aware

Hth
Stott

Nolan N43. Best of both worlds and five star.

theduck - 1/3/12 at 02:41 PM

quote:

Hth
Stott

Balls....may have to reconsider that idea

The Venom Project - 1/3/12 at 03:09 PM

Whatabout the Roof Boxer?

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Roof-Boxer-Classic-Matt-Black.html

blakep82 - 1/3/12 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
quote:

Hth
Stott

Balls....may have to reconsider that idea

full face with the visor open 1cm or so will sort out the steamy windows business
if your face is getting too hot, tip your head back a little for a second, and get a face full of cool air

RK - 2/3/12 at 12:31 AM

Get a light one that actually fits your noggin! Makes a world of difference. I got lucky with my last buy, getting it online, but I measured my head about 8 times first.

40inches - 2/3/12 at 08:13 AM

I got a flip front helmet from Lidl for £40 last year, comes with interchangeable linings of different size, I find
it very comfortable and a lot more so than the £150 bike helmet I also have, and the flip front is brilliant if you wear glasses