Board logo

Got a speeding ticket
whitestu - 6/4/13 at 04:22 PM

Plod must have been hidden behind a bush and reckons I was doing 35 in a 30 zone.

omega0684 - 6/4/13 at 04:28 PM

kit or tintop?

johnemms - 6/4/13 at 04:29 PM

Since speed cams I've had 3 tickets..

I'm embarrassed about the 'speed' not the ticket!

stevegough - 6/4/13 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Plod must have been hidden behind a bush and reckons I was doing 35 in a 30 zone.

You should be ashamed of yourself....

ASH3 - 6/4/13 at 05:22 PM

Me to in tintop M62 in that stupid 50mph section
3 lanes half 8 on a Sunday night not a car in sight
58mph downhill... knobs!

morcus - 6/4/13 at 06:11 PM

There is a very easy way to not get speeding tickets, stick to the speed limit, especially when it's 50 on the motorway, everytime I go down the M4 they seem to have road works and I always see policemen hiding (Often in a ford Galaxy with a special rear window that is like a vent they put a camera out). It won't be long before we're being monitored all the time, if you've got a phone in the car then technically you could be tracked already, and if they could use it freely it would very could if used to measure average speed point to point.

johnemms - 6/4/13 at 06:35 PM

The speed van by me today was parked in a 50
pointing into a 30 with traffic lights..

Sooo.. when you think i'll just nip through the lights before
they change.. you're nicked at 38mph lol..

Nice .. just love these 'safety vans'

Oh.. i got a clean licence and full no claims 9+ .. quite speed savvy now..

jabs - 6/4/13 at 06:48 PM

if in tin top then if they say 35 mph then the cars speedo probably showed 38-40 mph so naughty naughty

David Jenkins - 6/4/13 at 09:21 PM

My wife got caught, and the NIP said "36 mph", so I pointed out that her speedo would have been showing just over 40mph at that point - in a 30 zone... she admitted defeat without complaint...

I've only been caught once in the past 20 years - 2 years ago - as you come off the Severn Bridge on the M4 heading into Wales, there's a stretch of 50mph before the toll gates. There are loads of speed signs, my sat-nav gave a warning of possible speed traps, I knew there was a speed limit anyway, everyone else was slowing down, and I got done for doing 59mph. I had no excuse, and I took my punishment gracefully (a speed awareness course).

As said above - if you don't like speeding fines, don't speed. Nowadays, I've set my sat-nav to give a 'nag beep' if I'm going over the speed limit.

Ninehigh - 6/4/13 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Nowadays, I've set my sat-nav to give a 'nag beep' if I'm going over the speed limit.

I'd like to switch mine off, especially when it's 3am in the middle of nowhere, or an "average 50 zone" that was there years ago

Also is it just my speedo that reads less than what my sat nav says?

morcus - 6/4/13 at 10:15 PM

Should really be the otherway around as your speedo is meant to over read

Thailoz - 6/4/13 at 11:55 PM

That is something I definitely do not miss about good old UK I was a national express driver before I left and the speed traps were a nightmare.
although that said I did get stopped for speeding here about a year ago he clocked me at 112kph in a 80 zone I played dumb (i not understand Thai officer )
so in his best English he said 100 ok 112 not ok and said we need tea money so gave him 200 bht (around £4) and of i went .

skodaman - 7/4/13 at 12:01 AM

Wow you got ripped off Thailoz. Apparently the actual fine for drinking and driving in the Philippines is £1.50. You should relocate.

Thailoz - 7/4/13 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
Wow you got ripped off Thailoz. Apparently the actual fine for drinking and driving in the Philippines is £1.50. You should relocate.

The drink drive here is about £400 but you can bribe the cop and pay about 100 but average fine is about £4 lol

number-1 - 7/4/13 at 02:39 AM

I could be wrong but i though ACPO regs state they "shouldnt" use mobile cameras within 200 metres of a change in speed limit? Might be worth finding out.

MakeEverything - 7/4/13 at 07:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
I could be wrong but i though ACPO regs state they "shouldnt" use mobile cameras within 200 metres of a change in speed limit? Might be worth finding out.

Theyre "Guidelines" not regulations. Thats why they get away with it.

Ninehigh - 7/4/13 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Should really be the otherway around as your speedo is meant to over read

Well if the speedo says 60 the sat nav will say 57, sounds like mine's over reading and others are under (to me anyway)

whitestu - 7/4/13 at 08:39 AM

It was in the tin top. The annoying thing is that the copper was hiding, which they aren't supposed to do.

scootz - 7/4/13 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1

Those guidelines relate to when you've entered the new speed zone. It doesn't apply to the old speed zone you're leaving (I [I think Johnemns was heading from the 30 towards the 50 zone when he was pinched???).

scootz - 7/4/13 at 11:24 AM

quote:
It was in the tin top. The annoying thing is that the copper was hiding, which they aren't supposed to do.

Was it a hand-held radar?

PS - Love this argument... it's ok to do naughty things as long as I think no-ones looking!

scootz - 7/4/13 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thailoz
That is something I definitely do not miss about good old UK I was a national express driver before I left and the speed traps were a nightmare.
although that said I did get stopped for speeding here about a year ago he clocked me at 112kph in a 80 zone I played dumb (i not understand Thai officer )
so in his best English he said 100 ok 112 not ok and said we need tea money so gave him 200 bht (around £4) and of i went .

Aye... police corruption! Great when it's going in your favour!

Let's hope the 'other' side of the police corruption coin doesn't ever bite you on your bum and we see a post from you wishing you were back in the UK... instead of being banged up in the Bangkok-Hilton!

David Jenkins - 7/4/13 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
PS - Love this argument... it's ok to do naughty things as long as I think no-ones looking!

Sometimes I do speed - but if I ever get caught I'll accept the consequences...

I get most of my fun driving up to the speed limit - 60mph along a country road, but NOT slowing down for the corners!

[Edited on 7/4/13 by David Jenkins]

whitestu - 7/4/13 at 08:15 PM

quote:
quote:

Was it a hand-held radar?

Not sure 35 in a 30 zone classes me as an adrenalin junkie!!

I'll accept my punishment and pay my speeding tax

scootz - 7/4/13 at 08:20 PM

Good man!

whitestu - 23/4/13 at 01:35 PM

My punishment is a speeding awareness course. Anybody done one?

Stu

AndyW - 23/4/13 at 02:00 PM

I did a speed awareness course a few years ago. The people who hosted it were great, a lady officer and a guy who seems to just run courses. They said to participate. I joined in and really enjoyed it! And most of all I changed the way I drive. I drive alot slower now and am constantly aware of speed limits etc.

I personally found it helpful. If you go with a positive attitude then it won't seem as bad, there was one guy on it who did nothing but moan and I think he got picked on more because of that, nothing was his fault, always had an excuse.

So all in, not a bad experience except the £60 it cost me!!

adithorp - 23/4/13 at 02:09 PM

Yes. Either very informative or a waste of time depending who you speak to. Some of the stuff will be obvious, some crap and some stuff youdidn't know. Be patient with the first, bite your tonge with the second, learn from the third.

My experiance was pretty much the same as Andy's and it did change the way I drove... mostly.

[Edited on 23/4/13 by adithorp]

EX01 - 23/4/13 at 02:37 PM

Stealth tax nothing more.

Really glad most of the Fylde area is going to 20mph..... Genius!

procomp - 23/4/13 at 03:25 PM

On my speed awareness course on Friday. For doing 40 in a 40 zone. Yep they took the 40 signs that had been there for as long as I've been driving down so it was a so called 30. But took them a further 2 weeks to actually put the 30 sighn up on the camera post.