Board logo

Autocom intercoms?
flak monkey - 7/7/08 at 11:34 AM

Anyone got one?

Any good?

Really need something comfy and good at high speeds for the scotland trip. The lidls £5 one is ok upto about 30mph then you cant hear anything!

David

Mr Whippy - 7/7/08 at 11:55 AM

I suspect it might be a bit better than a £5 one

Buy a better helmit, my full face one sucks for wind noise, actually its hellish all I can hear is wind roar and far noiser than my open face offroad one. saving up for a Arai one

russbost - 7/7/08 at 12:34 PM

Can't vouch for the Autocom system, but have tried several cheap systems the best of which was maplins, the others were absolute c*ap, the maplin one was useable but only ok up to around 60-70mph then gets too much wind noise to be audible.

I'd be interested to know if there is anything halfway decent without spending the £150 + forthe Autocom kit.

stripe - 7/7/08 at 12:38 PM

the auto com ones are great, especially saying you can plug your ipod, phone and satnav into them as well...ive never had a problem with wind noise at all.

its what bedford autodrome use on all their open top cars and i think the rest of motorsport vision group use them as well.

although at bedford they have changed the 5 pin din connector for the helmets to a more conventional connector for conveinence and better durability with people who dont know what their doing...

flak monkey - 7/7/08 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I'd be interested to know if there is anything halfway decent without spending the £150 + forthe Autocom kit.

The basic autocom is £141 for a duo unit (ie the unit and 2 heasets).

http://www.cmcbikes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24_47&products_id=540

PAUL FISHER - 7/7/08 at 02:28 PM

Ive got the scala,nice bit of kit,see this post.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=92337

Hadders - 7/7/08 at 04:37 PM

I've got an Autocom and can highly recommend them. Driven to Cheshire and back from Hertfordshire and done many track days and has been excellent. Take a bit of setting up but once in the sweet spot they are amazing.

As a cheaper alternative you could try THIS . An instructor on one of the track days used it, but the quality was not as good as the Autocom and he said he only used them as replacment mics and earpieces were cheap and he got quite a lot broken each year.

HTH

Cheers