Board logo

Electrical Regs Query
Macbeast - 31/8/13 at 06:30 AM

Electrician in our church is installing hand dryers in the toilets. He has mounted the isolation switch ( normal white plastic switch ) within 2m of the sink taps so you can touch switch and tap at the same time. I thought this was not allowed or am I wrong ?

rgrs - 31/8/13 at 07:15 AM

Think you will find that provided it's over 300mm from the sink and provided adequate protection is provided it would comply.

Sure someone will be along soon that's a bit more up to date than me on the regs.

Have a read on the zone areas for bathrooms etc.

Roger

MakeEverything - 31/8/13 at 08:03 AM

Section 7 of the Regs have changed slightly.

You can install power within Zone 0 or Zone 1 as long as you have adequate protection via an RCD as said. I would think for such a high risk installation, they would have RCD's anyway.

[Edited on 31-8-13, by MakeEverything]

six mad - 31/8/13 at 08:19 AM

Hi

It is advisable to consider the area around a wash basin, within a 60cm radius of any tap
as zone 2.

Zone 2 requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better. or SELV with the transformer located beyond zone two.

And all circuits in a bathroom must be protected via a RCD not exeeding 30mA.

Bare in mind these regs are for a location that contains a bath or shower.

Strontium Dog - 31/8/13 at 11:52 AM

It's not a bathroom so does not need to comply with bathroom regs! I Have only done a handful of installs since 17th edition so not 100% up on the latest regs but personally I'd protect ANY public access areas with a 30mA RCD. The position of the isolation switch is fine perfectly reasonable IMO!

daniel mason - 31/8/13 at 12:49 PM

me too ^^ its a toilet not a bathroom. 2m is fine so long as the circuits have adequate protaction via 30ma rcd. i always keep things at least 600mm from a basin.
imagine not having a socket within 2m of your average kitchen sink!

jacko - 31/8/13 at 04:40 PM

Maybe he is helping God to fill heaven and get more Angles

Macbeast - 31/8/13 at 05:01 PM

Thanks for replies. I guess he's compliant then but I'll check for RCD.
BTW, I designed my kitchen so the sockets are 2m from the sink

mangogrooveworkshop - 31/8/13 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Thanks for replies. I guess he's compliant then but I'll check for RCD.
BTW, I designed my kitchen so the sockets are 2m from the sink

If i did that the sockets would be in the back yard

MakeEverything - 1/9/13 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
me too ^^ its a toilet not a bathroom.

Doesnt Matter, it still comes under Section 7; Special Locations if placing a socket within a zoned "Wet Area".