Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which build?
Mike01

posted on 16/4/22 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Which build?

Hello everyone

I've lurked on here for some time , enjoying all the builds and finished car photos 🙂 and thought it about time I dipped my toe in the water (so to speak) I've had the 1st edition of "build your own sports car" by Ron Champion for some time (a gift some 15 years ago) but I'm reading mixed information on converting this chassis type to accept the more common mx5 donor, and while I don't mind a bit of extra work and head scratching I'm not sure the effort would be worth it? Would I be better off parking that Ron Champion book and trying to get a copy of the Chris Gibbs book?

ianhurley20

posted on 17/4/22 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I built the Chris Gibbs/ Martin Kienan version and thought it was a much better machine. Independant rear end (Sierra or MX5 based), 100mm wider (which adds a lot of comfort and elbow room) being some of the main advantages. If you do a google search for the RC / MK book on google there is a downloadable copy - shhh, don't tell anyone

Slimy38

posted on 17/4/22 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit going for a Ron Champion design with an MX5 donor is maybe a little more 'head scratching' than I would go for. Even the Chris Gibbs book needs some imagination to get it working for the MX5.

As for trying to find a copy, it's only a couple of weeks until Stoneleigh, you are almost guaranteed to find a copy or two for sale.

Mike01

posted on 8/5/23 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
So I have managed to get a copy of the Chris Gibbs book, and also have the Vodou and Mcsorley plans downloaded and printed out , and I've managed to get hold of a MK1 mx5 engine/box/prop shaft so I have committed to the build 🙂 I do really like the original roadster look/size so am I right in thinking the Mcsorley plans will best serve me ? Giving me the similar dimensions but the ability to mount the mx5 running gear? I also have a question about the welder I have purchased but not sure which section to best place it under?
Slimy38

posted on 8/5/23 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike01
So I have managed to get a copy of the Chris Gibbs book, and also have the Vodou and Mcsorley plans downloaded and printed out , and I've managed to get hold of a MK1 mx5 engine/box/prop shaft so I have committed to the build 🙂 I do really like the original roadster look/size so am I right in thinking the Mcsorley plans will best serve me ? Giving me the similar dimensions but the ability to mount the mx5 running gear? I also have a question about the welder I have purchased but not sure which section to best place it under?

You don't 'need' the Mcsorley increased size to cater for the MX5 rear end, it'll work with any of them. It is good if you need the extra width though.

It might be worth getting the Saturn plans as well, they help with the rear end which is the biggest change for the MX5. The rear diff is very different to most other diffs, the long mounting arms needs quite a different design.

For the welder question there is a tools section.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.