Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust systems with springs
blakep82

posted on 25/11/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
exhaust systems with springs

how do you seal them?
my pipes are just push together, its been used before and theres no slots in the system to suggest its been clamped, but there is little loops welded on for springs.
how do you make sure the joins don't leak? is exhaust putty the only thing used?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichN

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used exhaust assembly paste for mine, which is different to putty I believe, and it doesn't leak although I had to do it twice.
ko_racer

posted on 25/11/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Our exhaust builder says to use high temp silicon sealant on the sliding joints.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/11/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
ah yes, assembly paste, thats the one i meant so is that all thats needed? no other sort of seals or anythning?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 25/11/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
ah, silicone, just saw that searching on interweb. it says paste is fine on mild steel, but doesn't stick to shiney stainless, its a stainless system i've got, so i'll go with that

CNHSS1

posted on 25/11/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
coomon on racers not to have anything in the joints. They are a 'decent' slide fit to enable removal and expansion, especialy useful on complex exhaust routings. They are only slack when stone cold, when fired up they blow momentarily and then expand enough to seal.
Usefull to isolate the manifolds from the system which is usually easy to knock if you have an 'off'. Pings the springs off at worst and saves the manifolds (usually the expensive bit!) from damage. All the more important if the system/maifolds are stainless as its not as ductile as mild steel and tends to crack rather than bend.

most suppliers like simspon exh, demon tweeks, Merlin stock them as sets with the weld on tabs or just as spare springs

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.