Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus - replace headlight bulb ?
Macbeast

posted on 17/2/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Focus - replace headlight bulb ?

I need to replace the N/S dip bulb on a 53 Focus. The manual and Haynes say remove the battery cover - yes - and push down the retaining spring clip - yes.
The plastic cover comes loose but I can't get it off. It seems to be retained at the top but no amount of pushing or wiggling, short of breaking the cover, seems to work. Is there a trick to it ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Ninehigh

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like mine, there's a tab to pull that I had to pull so hard I broke one and nearly broke my hand on the bonnet with the second (it came out suddenly)

mrwibble

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
hmm. i did mine, and i had a similar problem, sadly i cant remember how i fixed it, i think i removed several bolts around the mounting and in the end found i hadn;t needed to. all i can say is keep looking at it cuz it comes out somehow!

:0) thank me later for my helpfulness

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
tisk modern cars...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
ok - I've got a Focus.

Release the spring clip (at the bottom of the cover) and lift the bottom of the cover up (rotating about the top of the cover) - about 90 degrees. Then pull the cover away from the back of the light unit.

There's a tag at the top of the cover, which you can't see because of the top of the slam-panel, that locates into the light housing. Lifting the cover up, through the 90 degrees, should disengage this tag and then the cover should come off.

Obviously you will need to insert this tag back into the slot in the light cover to refit it. Try and do it during daylight otherwise it will take you ages to get the covers off and back on again.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Macbeast

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. JAG - to do that I would have to remove the battery and battery box completely ? There's no way the headlamp cover would swivel up 90 deg otherwise.

RichN

posted on 17/2/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with my Fiesta a couple of years ago. It was actually easier to remove the headlight unit. It's ridiculous that you have all of this hassle to do a simple job. No wonder you see so many cars driving around with only one working headlight.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichN
I had a similar problem with my Fiesta a couple of years ago. It was actually easier to remove the headlight unit. It's ridiculous that you have all of this hassle to do a simple job. No wonder you see so many cars driving around with only one working headlight.

so true, I've been asked a few times even by engineers to go and change bulbs and some cars are a right pain just to get your hand in. I like the old lights you just undid a screw on the front and could lift out the whole lamp. costs only £9 for a new sealed beam beetle/landy lamp

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 17/2/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Changed mine the other day, yes it is a bit of a fiddle but no need to take the battery out. Second time I've done mine and only took a couple of mins.

On the same sort of note I seem to get through headlamp bulbs like mad! 3rd one to go on the car in just over a year 25K miles. Was chatting to the bloke in the local motor factors and he agreed that they have tried all different makes from cheap to pricey bulbs in their own cars and all seem to fail very quickly. Perhaps that thats why we see so many cars with flty headlamps.

I now play a game with the kids when driving at night. I pick a figure say 10 and they have to guess if we will see more or less cars with a headlamp not working before the end of our journey...keeps us all amused for hours!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

JAG

posted on 17/2/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
No need to remove the battery - it's very close and you need to have supple/flexible hands but it is possible with everything still in place.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Ninehigh

posted on 17/2/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
On the same sort of note I seem to get through headlamp bulbs like mad! 3rd one to go on the car in just over a year 25K miles.

Make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb, this makes them go pop very quickly, something to do with grease and heat disribution.

RAYLEE29

posted on 17/2/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, it is possible to remove the cover but quite tricky we do them on a regular basis and it is difficult but yo have to try and get the nearside bit out and then the other side getting it back in is even harder be carefull or you will break the tabs off.
worth removing the drivers side first so you can see how it fits.
remove the battery cover and put some gloves on to save the skin on your hands.
Ray

adithorp

posted on 17/2/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
On some years/models of Focus it's not possible to lift the cover far enough for the top clips to disengaged and if you do fiddle it out they won't always go back. Either remove the battery and bottom half of the box or cut away (side cutters/junior hacksaw) the corner of the box thats restricting the cover (you cant see it once the top cover goes back).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Macbeast

posted on 17/2/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Update:
tried again and there is no way the lamp cover will hinge out. It maybe goes 20 deg before hitting the battery box. I may have broken the nearside tab, which will help. I think it's going to have to be cut away part of the battery box but it's getting dark so it's a job for tomorrow.

So reminiscent of the Haynes manuals - " undo the hub nut " Right - with a blow torch and a sledge hammer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.