Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Should I Wrap my Exhaust Manifold?
RichN

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Should I Wrap my Exhaust Manifold?

Question:

Should I wrap the exhaust manifold on my RIOT? The engine is rear mounted and I have the Sylva Stainless Exhaust.

Basically the fibreglass engine cover gets really hot above the manifold and I thought about wrapping the bits under the cover to reduce the temperature.

I have researched the 'net where some say it's ok to do and others say it's dangerous?

Does anyone have any experience of using it?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest why do they say its dangerous?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RichN

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently if it has gaps in then there is extreme heat release which causes a fire.
Davey D

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just wrap it.. it will be fine
david_hornet27

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mines wrapped, more for cosmetic reasons than anything else, and I haven't had any problems. Just make sure it is good quality thick stuff. IMO black is the best colour to buy as you don't end up with scorch marks...
big_wasa

posted on 21/5/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
You will find the can gets hotter than before.
David Jenkins

posted on 21/5/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - the pipe gets much hotter further down the line. Not really a problem unless you're worried about people touching the lower extremities of the exhaust system.

RichN

posted on 22/5/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies.

I'll get some wrap (probably in black) and watch out for the hot can.

Furyous

posted on 25/6/11 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard it's a bad idea in a Fury (not really relevant for you ) because it moves the heat out of the engine bay and into the enclosed side pod, where the increased temperatures can melt and set fire to the fibreglass.

posted on 25/6/11 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO

Stainless steel is weak when hot.

Subjecting the manifold to increased temperatures increases the likelihood of contraction cracks
as it cools. (Depending on design, bracing, or lack of, and grade of material.)

Just my 2p.

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 25/6/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Stainless steel is weak when hot.

Subjecting the manifold to increased temperatures increases the likelihood of contraction cracks
as it cools. (Depending on design, bracing, or lack of, and grade of material.)

Just my 2p.

Paul G

If mine cracks I will take it back to the supplier! Mel

Strontium Dog

posted on 25/6/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's a good thing to do, it reduces under bonnet temps and increases exhaust gas speeds. If your air intake is in the bay then the colder intake temps will aid power and the increased gas speed will help cylinder scavenging and thus you may make better power if correctly fueled!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

eddie99

posted on 25/6/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
The only way its dangerous is if you have an oil issue in the engine bay, then the wrapping soaks it up nicely. If you have any igniting then it acts like a wick!

You don't want to know why i know......

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Johneturbo

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Simpson race exhausts about this and they said it was a bad idea to wrap exhaust as the heat can't escape and can sap power
michael92

posted on 5/9/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
I spoke to Simpson race exhausts about this and they said it was a bad idea to wrap exhaust as the heat can't escape and can sap power

the heat cant escape? i always thought from the physics side of things a hot gas is a quick gas and the hotter the gas temp the quicker it'll flow hence wrapping your manifolds and downpipes.
thats just my view on it anyway

steve m

posted on 5/9/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my view from a post i put on this site a short while ago

Will i use exhaust wrap again?? NO

Exhaust leek

I was going to post a question about why my car always pops and bangs on the over run, but ive found out why!

I had noticed a small burn to the exhaust wrap, so it was obviousley a small hole in the manifold

So today i whipped the manifold off for a quick and easy repair, BUT NOT!

under the wrap, was a crack about 80% all the way round the manifold, and the stongest thing holding it all together was the exhaust wrap and wire and 20% of fatiged metal

Well, that was a lucky find, as i doubt it would of lasted much longer, and this would of resulted in my lower downpipe coming out of the side of the car, hitting the ground, and removing the whole downpipe, exhaust and silencer off the car
This would also proberly of taken out my nearside alui side panel, and rear wheelarch !!

I am soooo glad i did this job today (between nightshifts!) as i really wasnt going to bother untill the burn mark got worse

Steve

pewe

posted on 5/9/11 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Even after wrapping mine the heat coming up to the bonnet was still higher than I would like partic. as the clutch cable runs over the ex. manifold.
I bought some fire-board (used for soffits) from the local builder's merchant, cut it to shape and used two big tool clips to mount it to the outer exhaust headers.
Seems to disperse the heat quite well though it needs replacing every year or so. Improved it's longevity by putting packing pieces of soffit between the board and clips.
Can send pics if you need them.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

albero

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've used heat wrap and it eventually just dries and cracks up - I had my manifold ceramic coated by Camcoat not too expensive , reduced the heat and looks good
iank

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it's worth the bother on a riot personally as the exhaust is out of the back before you know it,

What do other riot owners do/recommend?

[Edited on 2/1/12 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MattStorey

posted on 12/1/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Heat shielding on the bonnet to prevent warping?
matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
On mine I have a aluminium heat shield on the headers (and turbo) and have bonded some heat reflective mat onto the underside of the 'bonnet'. Without the mat the bonnet surface got to 98degC even after 'gentle' run.

this stuff is well priced and works http://www.nfauto.co.uk/heatmat.htm to my mind it looks good too.

Worth doing the heat mat whether you wrap of not.

Matt

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.