Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail....
franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail....

But I don't think its a bad one.....

Inbalance on the handbrake(braking systems were spot on).
5 'sharp edges'
A bolt not all the way though the nyloc
Brake warning test light can't be operated from the cockpit.
3 cable ties needed to alter brake hose.

Could have been worse. Emissions were fine, thank god!! Brakes worked well, seemed to do about 30mpg on the 100mile round trip too.

Best part was being able to drive the bloody thing at last

Great service at nottingham test center.

With the handbrake balance, how can I test the cable part(golf rear calipers)? Braking function is great just the ruddy handbrake.

adithorp

posted on 9/6/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got some form of compensating lever where the 2 cables come together? In other words a bar, with the lever attached to the middle and the cables attached to each end, that is able to pivot in the middle and let the cable tensions equalise. Without one any small difference in cable lengths will result in uneven tension.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Have you got some form of compensating lever where the 2 cables come together? In other words a bar, with the lever attached to the middle and the cables attached to each end, that is able to pivot in the middle and let the cable tensions equalise. Without one any small difference in cable lengths will result in uneven tension.

Yep i've got a compensator fitted, one caliper/cable(the one thats fine) doesn't need to be nearly as tight as the one thats not working properly.

Both cables are new, as are the calipers. I'll take both cables out to see if ones stretched I guess.

ashg

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
is your brake warning light not the same light as your handbrake on light? if it is then pulling up the handbrake is considered testing from inside the car. if they argue ask them what production car has a test button inside.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
That was my idiotic mistake, I didn't wire one up. If that was the only point I could have put one on there as I had the bits/time. However with the handbrake balance issue it wasn't worth it.
Johneturbo

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
is your brake warning light not the same light as your handbrake on light? if it is then pulling up the handbrake is considered testing from inside the car. if they argue ask them what production car has a test button inside.

I was just thinking the same thing, unless they have changed it for IVA?

adithorp

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
When you fitted the rear brakes did you pump the piston out with the foot brake BEFORE pulling the h/brake? They need that to adjust properly and pulling the cable first can fook them.

Let off the cable tension - Remove the caliper and pads - Wind the pistons fully in - Refit pads and caliper - Pump up the footbrake HARD - Re-adjust the cable ensuring the levers still go back fully.

franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
When you fitted the rear brakes did you pump the piston out with the foot brake BEFORE pulling the h/brake? They need that to adjust properly and pulling the cable first can fook them.

Let off the cable tension - Remove the caliper and pads - Wind the pistons fully in - Refit pads and caliper - Pump up the footbrake HARD - Re-adjust the cable ensuring the levers still go back fully.

Good thinking batman.

I'll check, i'm pretty sure I fitted them at the same time in the same way but I might have had a play with one I guess.

So remove, wind the piston back in and then try the handbrake again(after checking cable lengths to ensure that they're not streched)?

I'll measure the lever also to ensure its got full movement.

The other bits of my fail are very simple. All being well half a days work when i've got some more trim.

sdh2903

posted on 9/6/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!

Where were the sharp edges?

Irony

posted on 9/6/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I know you failed but those fixes seem totally do-able. So my congrats to you. Whats it like to drive?
daniel mason

posted on 9/6/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, well done franky. a good fail indeed.

franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
'Sharp' edges were just bits of chassis at the front suspension tower, a bit under the dash and on the rear panel on the corners. Mega bloke though as he told me how I could fix/sort them out too which should help the retest.

The car drove great, 50 miles each way and it didn't miss a beat Brakes were great(its got a compensator fitted not a balance bar so no sticker to worry about), seemed to handle good. A little stiff maybe but I can tweak it out. Self centering was good, well I didn't notice having to straighten up, neither did the tester.

The engine/box are awesome. Its properly fast from any revs and it loves to rev too I'm not sure on figures yet for it but it'll do me fine.

sdh2903

posted on 9/6/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
All good wont take long then!

Out of interest what did the weight come out as?

franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
All good wont take long then!

Out of interest what did the weight come out as?

760 IIRC, fully wet, 30+ltrs of fuel. Same as my DIY corner weight results. Not bad really as its in comfort spec!

femster87

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
hey franky , Thats not a bad fail. You can get that sorted soonest. I would come round sometimes this summer to have a ride in that thing, I bet it would be scary. Good luck for the retest mate.
franky

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
hey franky , Thats not a bad fail. You can get that sorted soonest. I would come round sometimes this summer to have a ride in that thing, I bet it would be scary. Good luck for the retest mate.

More than welcome, its not scary at all. How are you getting on?

keithjardine

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad result and should be easily fixed,

i spotted you just turning in as i was coming out of my road and the car looked properly in stealth mode

keith

femster87

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Going alrite, Just got back tonight been for a roll cage. looks pretty mean now. Can't wait to get it finished.
adithorp

posted on 9/6/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Good thinking batman.

I'll check, i'm pretty sure I fitted them at the same time in the same way but I might have had a play with one I guess.

So remove, wind the piston back in and then try the handbrake again(after checking cable lengths to ensure that they're not streched)?

I'll measure the lever also to ensure its got full movement.

The other bits of my fail are very simple. All being well half a days work when i've got some more trim.

Not quite. Wind them in reassemble and be sure to pump the FOOT brake out first, then readjust the cable. You shouldn't have a lot of travel in the caliper levers IF they're working right. If one is moving a lot more than the other there's something wrong. If you've pulled the lever before pushing the piston out hyralically then the mechanism can fail internally.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.