Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel pump running consantly
mitch46

posted on 4/12/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
fuel pump running consantly

hi swapped from a carbed blade to a injected blackbird got it running today and runs fine,

just a quick question should the fuel pump run consantly or cut out when up to pressure when ignition on?

i know on bikes ive been around mainly cbr 600 and 1000 they run for a couple of seconds the cut out till you fire them up, will i cause me any probs with it running constant?

all i've done is connect the new bike pump to the old original wiring that was there for the carbed pump

sorry just that wiring is not a strong point of mine lol

cheers
mitch

[Edited on 4/12/11 by mitch46]

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/12/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Continually is normal (whilst engine running).

If they are the same as the in-tank gsxr ones then the pump runs all the time and pressure is controlled by a spring loaded regulator.

The carbed pumps are actually a bit cleverer (to my mind) as they don't waste all that electricity.

adithorp

posted on 4/12/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Normally the pump will run for a couple of seconds when you switch the ignition on, then stop untill you start the engine. It then runs continually. Thats controled by the fuel pump relay. If you've simply conected to your old wiring it will run constantly with the ignition on.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 4/12/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, some prime, (you get that spit second of whine as you turn the ignition) others just pump when the igniton is acctually turned over (My c20xe was like that). Shouldn't run constantly if the engine isnt running. (not that it will cause any running problems, will just waste electricity!)
Dusty

posted on 4/12/11 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
As above and usually from a relay that is further controlled/operated by the ECU.
MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
The carbed pumps are actually a bit cleverer (to my mind) as they don't waste all that electricity.

On a bike it doesn't make any difference, since any power you don't draw from the alternator is converted to heat anyway, as the regulators are of the shunt type.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.