Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot and bothered
deep blue

posted on 6/4/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hot and bothered

I need help with a wiring issue, A friend who lives over 300 miles away from me. has an issue with a the wiring on a marlin kit car.
The story so far is this, two months ago the car broke down on a trial a total battery discharge and the alternator was suspected, he fitted a replacement alternator, and it started but discharged a new fully charged battery in a few mins and the coil was getting very hot. This car has quote an electronic ignition system, engine is a BMC 1800 Boat anchor, so it will be some type of aftermarket system luminition// piranah etc.
The car refused to start and he took the car on a trailer to some local auto electrical firm down there, and the fitted quote a complete new ignition system, He picked up the car trailered it home it started and ran but two short runs and the coil was again red hot, and then it stooped running and apparently the battery is now flat.
NOW!!! I know this is a huge long shot given the sketchy info above, but can any of you hazard a guess what is the culprit here, and failing that a super simple ignition wiring/ charging circuit he can build in to totally replace the electronic ignition and just get the var running on points and at least reliable . Any help or advice welcomed.

steve m

posted on 6/4/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Easy one,

he has a ballasted coil fitted to a non ballested system, if you fit a straight 12v coil, the car should work fine
Coils do not get that hot !

Ive been down this route !!

jacko

posted on 6/4/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
How easy was that the first post to answer

That how good this forum is

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoop

posted on 7/4/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you want suggestions about adjustable steering columns!
Taxi

deep blue

posted on 8/4/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for advice i passed on the info to him, i will let you know the outcome.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.