Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant hoses
Brackers

posted on 2/9/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant hoses

Hi guys, want to replace my coolant pipes, many sizes and shapes, some have diff bore size on opposite ends... Want to know is there anyone you recommend who makes custom, or has anyone used the flexible stuff? I basically want to re-hose but don't want loads of joints! I already have the odd leak at a joint... Cheers
T66

posted on 2/9/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been buying from ASH on ebay - no idea how long they will last but they seem fine. Excellent service etc.

The flexi stuff is wired, and isnt quite as flex as Id hoped. Never looks right with long runs of flexi imho, prefer alloy joiners/bends etc.

keithjardine

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Used these guys http://stores.ebay.co.uk/autoperformancesiliconehoses

Same crowd as T66 used above, no issues and they have alot of stock including ali joints.

What hose clips are you using?

dave_424

posted on 3/9/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just hone something similar, get yourself a length of aluminium tube, 16 gauge. Should only be about £15 for a 6m length and use it for the straight runs.

A quick sand down with some fine wet and dry and a bit of polish and it really adds to the look of the engine bay.

Dave

Trollyjack

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ash very good

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul Turner

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Bought mine from http://www.performancesiliconehoses.com/ Made specials with different sized ends with various bends within 5 days. Been on almost 5 years and still perfect. Their hose clips are top quality as well.
Not Anumber

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I like the aluminium pipe idea for straight runbs. Anyone know if 35 mm hose fits onto 16 gauge ?

Daverog

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Mine came from Derby Performance Hoses at Swadlincote. They will make whatever length or shape that you want. Also have very good joining pieces and clips (not Jubilee). They are very reasonable on price, talk to them and they will do a deal!! Turned mine around in 24 hours.
http://www.derbyperformancehose.co.uk/

dhutch

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brackers
Hi guys, want to replace my coolant pipes, many sizes and shapes, some have diff bore size on opposite ends... Want to know is there anyone you recommend who makes custom, or has anyone used the flexible stuff? I basically want to re-hose but don't want loads of joints! I already have the odd leak at a joint... Cheers

At work we use the below company for one-off prototype moulded hoses. The prices vary on the complexity, obviously, but while its not something I have really looked into you may find they can compete favorably the modular silicone hose options if you want to go down that route.

http://www.vertco.co.uk/

Obviously cheapest is to do what I have done, which is cut up oem moulded hoses (bought for a quid each at a autojumble) and rejoin them with suitable clips in the orientation you require.

Daniel

[Edited on 3/9/2013 by dhutch]

dave_424

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
I like the aluminium pipe idea for straight runbs. Anyone know if 35 mm hose fits onto 16 gauge ?

16 gauge is the wall thickness (1.6mm) you can get the tube OD in whatever size you want. I used 1 1/4" for 32mm silicone bends.

Dave

Not Anumber

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave,

keithjardine

posted on 3/9/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/tv-satellite/aerials___fittings/SLX-Aerial-Mast-16G-6ft-9686752?skuId=10057457

OD of 32mm might be a bit dodgy without beading?

Fits snugly in 32mm ID silicone pipe.

puma931

posted on 3/9/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Ive been buying from ASH on ebay - no idea how long they will last but they seem fine. Excellent service etc.

The flexi stuff is wired, and isnt quite as flex as Id hoped. Never looks right with long runs of flexi imho, prefer alloy joiners/bends etc.

As above I used ASH

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 3/9/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
My straight metal pipes are polished stainless and were originally part of a Henry vacuum cleaner.
swimbo was not happy.
The ends can be ridged by modifying an old or cheap pair of pliers by welding a ridge on one side and grinding a groove in the other. use this by crimping round the end of the pipe.

Brackers

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, you been busy responding! Will take a look. Like thought of place in derby as close buy... Will take a look at all the suggestions. Thanks
Paul Turner

posted on 4/9/13 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you look in my photo archive you will see photos showing my install.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.