Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.25 diameter 7 inch springs
Paul AS

posted on 18/3/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
2.25 diameter 7 inch springs

Hi Guys,

I'm booked in with the set-up gods at Pro Comp in early May to get the best out of my J15.

They will advise and set up based on the car as presented and fit/swap and relevant parts I take with me, or they have in stock.

I have 300lb springs on the back, 225's on the front and a spare set of 175's taken off the front. Depending on the corner weighting, etc etc, they may advise on different spring rates.

I would like to take a few different rates with me so depending upon Matt and Ivor's advice I can come away with the finished item, rather than swapping springs at a later date, and potentially messing up their work.

If anyone has any pairs of 7 inch, 2.25 diameter springs gathering dust, before I start buying new, that they want rid of, I would happily take them off your hands for most forms of currency.

Anybody got anything?

Thanks

Paul

Jenko

posted on 18/3/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

If it's any use, I know of another J15 owner who recently had thier car fully set up. When all the calculations were complete the spring rates actually remained true to the original suggestions by JP. 200lbs front, and 300lb rear. And that was for a more track biased car. I guess what I'm saying is 225's up front and 300 rear will most likely be ok...possibly a little stiff on the front as the general consensus on the weight distribution seems to be around 40/60. I would have thought Procomp would have a stock of springs just in case.

Whatever happens it would be interesting to see the results :-)

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

CNHSS1

posted on 18/3/14 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dermot Healey usually has loads of springs kicking around, look for him on racecarsdirect

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Paul AS

posted on 18/3/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
Hi Paul,

If it's any use, I know of another J15 owner who recently had thier car fully set up. When all the calculations were complete the spring rates actually remained true to the original suggestions by JP. 200lbs front, and 300lb rear. And that was for a more track biased car. I guess what I'm saying is 225's up front and 300 rear will most likely be ok...possibly a little stiff on the front as the general consensus on the weight distribution seems to be around 40/60. I would have thought Procomp would have a stock of springs just in case.

Whatever happens it would be interesting to see the results :-)

I'll happily share the results and put all the numbers up on here. I did know that the standard JP set up was 200/300, but for some reason known only to himself he purposefully supplied 175's for the front of my car. Whether that is because of it only being a 1400 with 105bhp or to account for the fuel tank being relocated behind the drivers seat I don't know.

It swapped ends on me three times at Oulton Park on a cold damp October day, the last of which was expensive! The idea being upping the spring rates in to front was to give the car an opportunity to understeer or be more neutral when it wants to let go.

I'm sure there are a multitude of idea and options, including softening the backend, changing tyres etc etc but you've got to start somewhere.

Jenko

posted on 18/3/14 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I guess jp's thinking is sound if you planned the fuel tank position from the start........at the end of the day, the guys at pro comp will get it sorted.

On the subject of fuel tank....I put the passenger seat in last week and asked the wife if she would sit in it while I sorted the seatbelt position....without prompting she started moaning about he lack of foot space!

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul AS

posted on 18/3/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Deja vu!! Only it was my teenage son who was about 5'10" at the time and needed to be folded up to fit in, hence the fuel tank relocation.

There has been a tank made by theprisioner on here that is stepped and front mounted to get a compromise of legroom and weight distribution.

She could always walk??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.