Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw 328 vanos
rklurch

posted on 17/4/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
bmw 328 vanos

hi all. im building a Haynes roaster with a 328 engine. is it possible to run the engine with the vanos unit removed and a normal cam pully in its place. not using the ecu as im going down the route of bike carbs and megasquirt. though I am going to use the auto box ecu linked to the megasquirt unit. any help would be great. thanks
franky

posted on 17/4/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
can I ask why? you'll end up with less power, the engine map will be no way near the quality of the factory one and you're adding extra expense.
SteveWallace

posted on 17/4/14 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
can I ask why? you'll end up with less power, the engine map will be no way near the quality of the factory one and you're adding extra expense.

Same question really, the stock ECU's can be remapped quite easily and the EWS and ABS signals deleted so that the engine can be transplanted without all of the peripherals throwing the ECU into limp home mode. I can give you the contact details of a good remapper based in Birmingham if you like.

Sorry if that's not what your looking for - I have to confess that I don't know the proper answer to your question.

ashg

posted on 17/4/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
im pretty sure ms3 can control vanos so why are you bothering with the bike carbs?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rodgling

posted on 17/4/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
On the M3 evo it's possible - vanos delete kits exist (but it has a slightly different dual vanos system). I'm not aware of any kits for the 328, although I'm sure it could be done. You could maybe use non-vanos cams from a 325?

I agree with the others, keeping the vanos and stock ECU will be MUCH easier and cheaper, but I guess it depends why you're doing it?

Daf

posted on 17/4/14 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to use an early M50 325 non vanos cyclinder head on the 328 bottom end. I have a contact that would be able to help with the EWS/mapping issue though if you want to use standard parts.
rklurch

posted on 22/4/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
bmw 328 vanos

thanks for the answers. I still have all the original gubbins from the engine so I could put the engine in as standard. was looking at bike carbs as I don't want to follow the herd and make a carbon copy car, and I quite enjoy a challenge. which is why im making as much on the car as I can, from the exhaust to the washer bottle. finishing the chassis at the moment so the engine side of things is still a work in progress.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.