Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To sequential or not to sequential
Mumbles

posted on 17/10/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
To sequential or not to sequential

As per my previous post I am looking to upgrade the gearbox in my Tiger as it's just a standard type 9 at the moment and as I use the car solely for track it is getting a little tired. Car is running around 185bhp.

I am considering the Tran-X straight cut box which I have now been informed has moved over to 3J Driveline for complete box is £2,340.

I have also come across this...
http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/products/il200-56-s/

A sequential for £3,300? Seems to good to be true. Does anyone have experience of using these or can comment on reliability etc.?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Matt21

posted on 17/10/14 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you are willing to pay £3000+ just to change gear marginally faster and in a different style then go for it!

unless you're serious into racing I dont see the point.

for trackdays you dont need to shave 100ths or 10ths of a second a tap, I doubt you would even notice, if by some miracle, if you shaved 3seconds a lap.

just my thoughts If you think £3000 is worth it then go for it.

Myself, I would rather buy £3000 worth of type 9 gear boxes and just replace them when they die

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/10/14 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
hi i had a elite il200s 6 speed in my westy,

Bearings failed and was a £2200 rebuild with drop gears and bearings etc.

They are noisy and cluncky on the road.

Good on track but being honest i have had a caterham 6 speed box and i would definately have one again.

Personally i would stick with a std H pattern box and save the money, i cant say i was any quicker with the sequential over the caterham box,

Also i found at times i wanted to go from 6th to 4th and i the H pattern this is quicker than the sequential box,

Also the reverse is a complete pain.

But others may say otherwise,

best of luck

femster87

posted on 17/10/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I will get a cater ham box instead. I have installed on in my r6 not tested it yet still fettling.
daniel mason

posted on 17/10/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be inclined to look towards an aero track car instead if it's just track only!
That's if your main intention is to be faster on a circuit. You could pick up a global gt light, spire or a radical club/pro sport for not a massive outlay.(especially the global)

Rich J

posted on 17/10/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered a BGH box?

Choice of ratio's,heavy duty and reasonably priced.

I was seriously considering the Elite box having run my E6 HD behind a 200 horse C16 XE for 3 years on the road as well as sprints and hillclimbs.

I came to the same conclusion as a previous poster re: time saved but what really swayed me was that on stripping it down last week I found it needed just one bearing replacing after all the abuse it's had.

I've decided to spend the money on double adjustable shocks and a set of Avon ZZR's to improve my times

[Edited on 17/10/14 by Rich J]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.