Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daylight running lamps/ LED units as sidelights?
villagehoppa

posted on 25/2/16 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Daylight running lamps/ LED units as sidelights?

Hi All,

Quick question about side lights if that is at all possible!! Can I wire up DRL's as side lights so they work as the sidelight function? I'm planning on using a Fiat 500 headlights but don't want to use the seperate side light unit as it would look too much like a 500!! Can I get a nice bright LED lamp unit and use that as a sidelight on it's own switch? Can decipher the IVA manual!! Any help most appreciated.... Many thanks....

loggyboy

posted on 25/2/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I can only see them falling foul of this:

'All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type'

Side lights are 5 or 10w - DRLs are often brighter.
Its hard to tell with LEDs as wattage doesnt mean much, hence why the reliance is put on E markings.

Mistral Motorsport

villagehoppa

posted on 25/2/16 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, do you think as long as the led unit is 'e' marked it should be ok?
adithorp

posted on 25/2/16 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
DRL's are too bright to use as side lights. On tin-tops the DRL's either dim or go out when the lights are switched on. On your 500 units it might be worth checking if thats controlled by a circuit within the lamp; If they dim you'll be OK.
E marks have to be the correct code for the type of lamp it's being used as (listed in an appendix of the IVA guide I think) so it'd have to be the right e mark and not just any lamp with an e mark.
If you fit seperate front side lights with a seperate switch, it'd have to control front and rear sides (sorry sounds obvious but isn't clear thats what you meant).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 25/2/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
The better quality DRL control modules have a dim function to allow the drl to be used as side position lamps -- but it is a can of worms for iva.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.