Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good picture "tutorial" for " bodybuilding"
Mave

posted on 25/2/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Good picture "tutorial" for " bodybuilding"

http://www.ddrmotorsport.com/process.html

Very, very nice. Somehow they forgot to mention that their car is greatly inspired by the McLaren F1, but they could have choosen an uglier example......

I really like their work!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 25/2/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, that's amazing. I remember seeing something a while back where some guys turned an MR2 into a Ferrari lookalike, I have a feeling it might be the same people. Very talented!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris.russell

posted on 25/2/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
you forget just how much hard work goes into making the moulds!

Looks very impressive to me

Mines a pint

chunkielad

posted on 25/2/05 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have all this to come!!!
clbarclay

posted on 25/2/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
The danger with slides like that is how the just make everything look so easy. like the pictures of slopes (hill climbs, triling etc.) you never appretiate how daunting these things are till you try them your self.
James

posted on 25/2/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Aha... so, someone's finally done an F1 lookalike.

Would be nice to buy just the bodywork to put onto my own space frame. None of that Japanese rubbish- I want a proper 3 seater!

Cheers,
James

Mave

posted on 25/2/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
James, I couldn't agree with you more! I'd also like to design my own mid-engined frame, but the bodywork scares me off. This one looks nice.....

By the way, it is not a body which replaces the MR2 body. As far as I understand there will be a dedicated spaceframe underneath. But they use most of the drivetrain of the MR2.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 25/2/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
As a sort of side note, how do you attach the body panels to the chassis? I wouldn't have thought it is as easy as with a 7 style car which seems to have fairly obvious attachment points, maybe I'm wrong.

Also, how do you form a part such as the air scoop that has inside and outside surfaces?

I ask because I'd love to design and build my own car one day (won't be any time soon tho, need to learn how to weld for a start!)

Pete

Liam

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ch**st that's a beautiful shape!!

Damn nice work. One thing that surprised me is the lack of ribs on their moulds. Might they have quality problems with distorted panels? Moulds I've seen have always been covered in ribs to keep them stiff. But what do I know.

By the way, if you think that looks like a McLaren F1, check out a Tommy Kaira ZZII . I'll be bu**ered if I can spot the difference! Another piece of coupe perfection. But who cares - great minds think alike and all that, and if they are going to offer GRP shaped like that at an affordable price I might have to get a body and put something in it!

Mmmmmm

Liam

chunkielad

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Distortion shouldn't be a big issue as GRP flexes during fitting too. I'd have thought it'd be OK.
Liam

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You should see the first locost nosecone i bought (then threw away)!!

But yeah you're probably right. It could be said they seem to know what they're doing.

Liam

JoelP

posted on 27/2/05 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
some of the moulds (i didnt watch til the end) had balsa wood added.

clbarclay

posted on 27/2/05 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with balsa wood, technically its a hard wood. For its weight its relativerly quite strong.
krlthms

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Call me a bleeding heart liberal

What I see is a vanity project of a rich boy in a very poor third world country exploiting the "innate" abilities of what are clearly fine craftsmen working in atrocious conditions. Note how often maskes or gloves are worn; note the dust. I wonder what poor Ovalle's lungs look like (actually, I can guess). Look at the pictures of him perching precariously, in his sandles, and no gloves, arc welding the frame.
Look closely and think: "but there for the grace of God goes I".
We do this stuff as a hobby, fully aware and well protectd from the associated dangers. Poor Ovalle has to do it to feed Ovalle Junior; a pity that he is unlikely to see him grow up.
This is disgusting. It is a "tutorial" in exploitation.

[Edited on 27/2/05 by krlthms]

chunkielad

posted on 27/2/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
HANG ON!!!

Have you spoken to him? Did he choose to work in these 'conditions' because it's so hot over there and its too much to cope wearing PPE? Or is he being 'exploited'? Lets not assume from a photo. We don't have all the facts.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/2/05 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
To me it looks like a bunch of guys with an awesome talent getting together to labour over something they really enjoy doing. It also says that Ovalle "has been project chief for a large construction company that has worked with businesses like the Casa de Campo Hotel Resort". Doesn't sound like the CV of someone on the breadline to me.

As for wearing protection, in several photos they are wearing masks, so it looks more like a matter of choice when they aren't wearing them.

As chunkielad says, you can't pass judgement unless you are in possession of all the facts, and we aren't.

Pete

Liam

posted on 27/2/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
!!!
quote:

Call me a bleeding heart liberal

To put it mildly! No offence, but you actually come accross as a prejudiced patronizing a**e!

You see a latino guy and assume he's poverty stricken and exploited!! The company is probably a front for a heroin and gun running organisation to, eh?

What would have been your reaction if it was a couple of caucasian guys in europe? You'd have been singing their praises. Believe it or not, even 'very poor countries' with dark skinned people with funny names like Diego and Ovalle have talented enthusiasts who are just as 'fully aware' as anyone else and capable of completing ambitious projects in comfortable conditions!

Have you read the rest of the site? 'Poor Ovalle'?! Shocking post!

Liam

[Edited on 27/2/05 by Liam]

Volvorsport

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
im on me 4th tin of filler !!!!!!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

chunkielad

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys - back to the thread - no need to lynch anyone
JoelP

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Nothing wrong with balsa wood, technically its a hard wood. For its weight its relativerly quite strong.

thats what i mean. that the moulds are strengthened.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.