Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: joining wires
MikeR

posted on 11/4/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
joining wires

Simple question. Whats the best way to join two wires?

For example, existing steering column plug with 3" wire on it. What is the best way to join it to my wiring loom?

Strip 2cm of each, tin, twist along side each other, solder and then cover with heat shrink tube?

Or ????????

esn163

posted on 11/4/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
thats what we've done seems to work OK. Strip wires, twist each, tin each seperately then heat the two up together to join them works well. Then used heat shrink and / or insulating tape where heat shrink couldn't be used

Ed

[Edited on 11/4/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 11/4/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
If the wires are clean then they can be twisted together without tinning and then soldered with a flux cored solder. Makes for a thinner join but it will still be stiff. I've just had a major tidy up of my loom and fitted fuel injection and thats how I'm doing joins.
Kissy

posted on 12/4/06 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Try not to let solder capillary too far up the wires at it will render them likely to fracture in time. Use adhesive lined heatshrink if you can (RS), it seals the joint + you can place cable markers inside prior to recovering the tubing.
ReMan

posted on 12/4/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
All these suggestions are fine for the application. You could also use these in-line heatshrink crimp joints.(Not very locost though)
I used all thes4 methods in different places on my loom, depending on space , movement etc Rescued attachment rhs.jpg
Rescued attachment rhs.jpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

RazMan

posted on 12/4/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of tips here:

If you want to use crimps, get a top quality crimp tool - the cheapies are very unreliable. A good one will cost £30 ish but well worth it.

If you solder, take the centre out of an insulated crimp butt connector and poke the wires in each end, solder and finish with heatshrink tubing. The more wires you need to join, just use a larger butt connector (red, blue or yellow) This produces a good strong joint.

For grouped wires (ie. wiper motor, lights etc) use a multiway connector. This allows easy fault finding later.

[Edited on 12-4-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/4/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kissy
Try not to let solder capillary too far up the wires at it will render them likely to fracture in time. Use adhesive lined heatshrink if you can (RS), it seals the joint + you can place cable markers inside prior to recovering the tubing.

has anyone know this to happen in a car? I thnk the time will be so long that you need not worry about it...

Strip the wires, about 6 mm, the push one lot of strands into the other lot, twist so the wires ahve good contact then a bit of flux and solder up. Oh, an put some haeatshrink tubing before you solder

nitram38

posted on 12/4/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you are joining an existing 'part' to the loom permenantly, then that is a very bad idea!
What if your indicator or lighting stalk goes on the fritz?
Out comes the soldering iron again.
Why not just find the same kind of comnnector as the donor uses and put that on your loom?
That way it will be a simple job to unplug it if your switches fail.
Soldering is a bit of a bodge in this situation!

Peteff

posted on 12/4/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
existing steering column plug with 3" wire on it.

I think he has that covered Martin.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hornet

posted on 12/4/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I had same situation, removed the 3" wires from the original plug, removed the ends carefully, soldered them onto new wires and refitted them to the original plug.
Hey presto.... no joins.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/4/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Kissy
Try not to let solder capillary too far up the wires at it will render them likely to fracture in time.

has anyone know this to happen in a car?

I've seen it happen lots of times. Soldering can be problematic if the loom is subject to vibration or movement. All the stress from bending happens at the point that the solder has flowed up to, so the wire can break very quickly.

Splicing into part of the loom under the dash is going to be fine, soldering a connector that plugs onto an engine sensor is asking for problems.

nick205

posted on 12/4/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer to fit proper crimped bullet terminals male/female to each wire and then connect. Crimps are far more reliable than soldered joints and easier to service if need be in the future.

Crimp terminals are very cheap if you buy from somewhere like Vehicle Wiring Products and I have had perfectly good results with the budget "plier" type crimping tools.

If you look at modern production car looms, there are very few if any soldered wire joints in them.

Just my 2p's worth

MikeR

posted on 12/4/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've deliberately kept the old loom for my engine bay. Any connectors should be done feet away from the actual device. Also looking at making the entire loom detatchable for future upgrades (like Fuel Injection).
nitram38

posted on 12/4/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I think he has that covered Martin.

oops !

I mis-understood. Wrong end!
You can also use insulation tape if you have not got any heatshrink, but use a small tie wrap either end of the tape to stop it un-rolling with time.
If you are using loom tape afterwards, do not bother with the ties

MikeR

posted on 12/4/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, should i solder a crimp?

Always wondered this, sort of thought it would give a better connection so would be better.

darrens

posted on 12/4/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Just to clarify, should i solder a crimp?

Always wondered this, sort of thought it would give a better connection so would be better.

If you solder after you crimp you weaken the join. Better to crimp only or solder only.

caber

posted on 12/4/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom line is if you can solder well a solder joint is the best method of permenantly joining two wires, if you can't use a crimp with proper pliers of the ratchet type. You can also use screw terminal block. If you do use this tin the end of the wires first and make sure the terminal is screwed down hard, this will stop the screws coming loose. It is possible to get two part terminal strip that plugs together this can be handy to make multipole connections though I would tywrap the two parts together, I have done this in my Land Rover and it has worked a treat.

Caber

C10CoryM

posted on 13/4/06 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
This topic always brings a debate no matter who you ask.

A couple companies issued TSBs saying do not solder splices on vehicles. As has been stated, the solder can cause wires to break in areas under vibration/flex (everywhere on a car). GM went so far as to produce a heatshink/connector similar to the one pictured above. With todays vehicles wire breaks can cost a LOT of hours in diagnoses. Engineers avoid splices as much as possible now for this reason. They are also more labour intensive than a machine splice.

Anyhow, at our shop we crimp and heatshrink using good crimpers and good heatshrink. If you do wiring, buy good crimpers. Not only do they work better, they are easier on the hands. The good heatshrink will shrink smaller/tighter and has a glue in it to prevent any water intrusion. Even if you chose to solder, use good heatshrink. Even I buy the good stuff and Im pretty cheap .
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

MikeR

posted on 13/4/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the advice folks.

Still don't understand why if i crimp i shouldn't solder the wires afterwards but i'll take the advice

Think i'll be crimping. So where is the cheapest place to buy a decent crimp as i've got three pairs of the cheap ones.

RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Polevolt page 42 Part Number TT73

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.