Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 throttle body questions
peterrosey

posted on 21/11/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
R1 throttle body questions

I've bought a set of these off a 2002 bike and was wondering if anyone had any handy hints for them (or TBs in general).

I plan to fit them (unspaced) on a home-made manifold to a 1.6 Zetec SE engine. Is spacing them important?

Plan to use a bosch injection car fuel pump, but any idea on what regulator to use (is there one on the R1 fuel line or is that something else).

Mapping will probably be Megasquirt as funds are tight. Anyone else done similar?

All help gratefully received chaps...

DIY Si

posted on 21/11/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know a great deal about TB's, but if you can re-space them to match the head it'll make lifer much easier for yourself. That way the manifold is easier/simpler as it's just 4 straight tubes to the head, which is better than having curved/twisty runners. This should either make it easy to make yourself, or cheaper to have it down. It should also give a slightly higher flow rate, although the difference won't be noticable.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

stevebubs

posted on 21/11/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Peter,

New wheels look good!

For simplicity, don't bother respacing and just build/get built a manifold to suit.

Does the R1 Rail have a return as standard? If not, then you'll need to add one...

Fuel regulator - normally one on the rail but if not, then just have a hunt around. I spent a little bit of money here and bought an adjustable one from Merlin.

Most production cars will have a suitable regulator you can use - perhaps just worth a browse through german, swedish & french website for a cheapish one if on a budget

stevebubs

posted on 21/11/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
PS Mapping is reasonably easy if you have access to a wideband lambda. I was lucky enough to borrow one from Bill Shurvinton who lives around the corner, but (IMHO) they're a sound investment and an LM-1 or LC-1 sits on my "must have list"
whitestu

posted on 22/11/06 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance, but don't know much about TBs.

Am I right in thinking a lambda sensor is only needed to set them up, or is it required all the time as an input to the system?

Thanks

Stu

Schrodinger

posted on 22/11/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's not a must have but can be used on some ECUs to keep the mixture "within bounds"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.