Board logo

More brake feel needed.
laptoprob - 2/1/12 at 10:15 AM

Looking to upgrade my brake setup which feels very `unservoed` at the min.

I have the std Sierra master cylinder and Willwood midis at the front with drums to the back.

The pedal is hard which is great but has no feel to it at all.

Do i need to upgrade/change the master cylinder and if so to what?

robocog - 2/1/12 at 10:29 AM

MC with a smaller bore will make the pedal travel further and feel softer under foot
(same/similar can be achieved by changing pedal ratio)

I went with a smaller bore MC from a Fiat (only because it was cheap...and easier than footling around with pedal ratio's)

BENDIX 132233B (19.05mm) is what I went with in the end

See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=164431

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 2/1/12 by robocog]

whitestu - 2/1/12 at 10:34 AM

I did exactly the same as Rob with good results.

My brake setup is standard Sierra discs / drums with EBC Yellowstuff pads

Stu

dlatch - 2/1/12 at 12:24 PM

Rob

will the KA calipers fit cortina uprights? from when i had my KA i remember they were certainly lighter than a m16 caliper for sure

robocog - 2/1/12 at 02:22 PM

Yup bolted straight up...no fettling required

Used early Sierra pov spec solid disks from a 1.6 IIRC
(so center bore is correct etc which IIRC the KA and Fiesta solids weren't)

It's a bolt up and go affair with the Sierra disks :-)

(although I did buy some shiney new braided hoses from Russbost on here as my original hoses were a little tight on full droop and full lock...not sure if it was the angle of the oulet on the KA callipers being slightly different places/angles to the sierra venteds??)

Regards
Rob

robocog - 2/1/12 at 02:24 PM

Oops....just re read and not sure if they fit the Cortina uprights as mine are Sierra (being its an MK)
I'd guess not TBH

Regards
Rob

dlatch - 2/1/12 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robocog
Oops....just re read and not sure if they fit the Cortina uprights as mine are Sierra (being its an MK)
I'd guess not TBH

Regards
Rob

heh i thought you had sierra uprights Rob, i have mine all apart atm so looking at a more modern lighter alternative to the old M16 calliper without going to the expense of 4 pot alloy which i think is not needed for my application.
if i can get hold of a KA or early puma calliper i will try it out just to see

owelly - 2/1/12 at 03:33 PM

What pedal box do you have? Is there room to drill another hole closer to the pedal pivot without the push-rod catching on the edge of the m/c? A few mm makes a lot of difference (or so my mrs tells me...).

laptoprob - 3/1/12 at 05:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
What pedal box do you have? Is there room to drill another hole closer to the pedal pivot without the push-rod catching on the edge of the m/c? A few mm makes a lot of difference (or so my mrs tells me...).

Not sure Owelly, just wanted to put a different one on TBH as im sure that the problem

Was looking for something that is an easy fit w/o much modding etc.

Might have a look into this one that Rob has mentioned.

adithorp - 3/1/12 at 08:17 AM

Early Fiesta (mk 1or2) non-servo master cylinder will do the job as well as the Fiat one. Don't know for sure but I think the bolt spacing is the same as the Sierra.

laptoprob - 3/1/12 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Early Fiesta (mk 1or2) non-servo master cylinder will do the job as well as the Fiat one. Don't know for sure but I think the bolt spacing is the same as the Sierra.

FORD FIESTA Mk11, 950,1.1,1.3,1.4 & Vans NOS FORD BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER | eBay

adithorp - 3/1/12 at 09:59 AM

Thats the one. I'd check new prices though 'cos they might not be that expensive and depending on how old that "old stock" is, the seals might have gone a bit hard over time

laptoprob - 3/1/12 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Thats the one. I'd check new prices though 'cos they might not be that expensive and depending on how old that "old stock" is, the seals might have gone a bit hard over time

Thanks again Adi. Will you be at Blyton this spring, i`ll buy you a coffee

adithorp - 3/1/12 at 02:08 PM

Probably at some point.

dlatch - 6/1/12 at 07:07 PM

tried a ford KA caliper on my cortina hubs and its not going to work

also they are not actually much lighter than the good old M16 caliper which surprised me

Pezza - 6/1/12 at 09:46 PM

I used a nice small, light weight nissan MC on my MK, twin outputs front and rear.

laptoprob - 7/1/12 at 11:21 AM

Mk2 Fiesta one bought

Thanks for the help boys.