Board logo

Transporting Indy R inside a van?
Iaing - 22/11/11 at 02:44 PM

Has anyone tried to transport their MK in a van? Looking at the sprinter dimensions i think it might fit in the back of one of those!?

Getting desperate as I need to get the car down to MK on Friday.

Cheers

Iain

afj - 22/11/11 at 02:54 PM

chassis will fit but the whole car with wheels wont im sure there is a picture somewhere of a indy in the back of a van at a funny angle

vinny1275 - 22/11/11 at 02:57 PM

I've not done it, but here are a couple of things to consider -

what's the size between the wheelarches like? Don't forget that they intrude into the load space, and you'll either need to go between or over them.

Are the tie-down points inside the van strong enough to take the weight of the car trying to break free if you have an accident?

Can you get long enough ramps to actually get the car in the back (especially if you have to go over the van wheelarches?

HTH

Vince

MK9R - 22/11/11 at 02:57 PM

Rent a luton or tipper with a tail lift

Iaing - 22/11/11 at 03:07 PM

Thought about a Luton but will it fit on the rear lift?

MK9R - 22/11/11 at 03:10 PM

You'd have to clamp an extension on, and probably give it a helping hand. Or just get some long ramps

designer - 22/11/11 at 03:37 PM

if you told us where you are it would help!

Tiger Super Six - 22/11/11 at 05:48 PM

Went to a Caterham accademy race last year and a guy used a van to move his race car around, so in theory it is do-able, subject to dimensions of your car compared to the Caterham and also I don't know how he strapped it down (he may have welded some points in?).

Not sure that really helps

Iaing - 22/11/11 at 05:54 PM

Strange, posted a reply and it hasn't appeared.

Anyway problem solved, getting a reanult van silimar to a luton and will sus out a ramp to roll it in. Apparently its only about 2.5 ft off the ground at the back so shouldn't be too difficult to make up a ramp.

Cheers

Iain

fullpint - 22/11/11 at 07:49 PM

Rent a trailer? I expect it's cheaper than van hire!!!

daviep - 22/11/11 at 09:05 PM

We used to transport a Global GT Light race car inside an Iveco Daily, was a bit of a squeeze and we made a set of ramps inside the van so that the car sat at quite a steep angle both for length and to avoid the wheel arches.

Might be a good idea to get the van a couple of days before you need it to make sure you can get it in, I'm guessig it must have the wheel arches in the load space as anything above the wheel will be higher than 2.5 feet. Also I think you may be suprised at how long your ramps need to be even to go up 2.5 feet.

Davie