Board logo

Help! Cars died!
Paul G - 31/7/06 at 08:23 AM

Morning all,

I finally got the chance to go out in my car yesterday for the first time in weeks but when I started it straight away the engine was revving its bollocks off at about 6000 rpm. I turned it off, checked for a stuck throttle cable but all seemed fine. Now it wont start, just get the sound of 1 slow turn of the starter motor and then nothing. The battery is fine, charged it up to make sure, fuses seem ok and theres petrol in it. Anyone got any ideas what I've done to it?!

cheers

Paul

Hellfire - 31/7/06 at 08:33 AM

I'm guessing it's not Carb'd as it's a new engine... maybe a stuck throttle body slider?

Paul G - 31/7/06 at 09:12 AM

Sorry forgot to say its a 98 carbed R1

Hellfire - 31/7/06 at 10:01 AM

Same thing seems suspect... sticking throttle slider. Grease it up - sometimes they get a bit dusty and because the likelyhood that you have one spring removed from throttle cam, it's not pulling it back to idle.

Steve

smart51 - 31/7/06 at 11:06 AM

Check your ilde screw adjuster. My 98 R1 revved quite high like yours. I turned down the idle and it was fine.

I don't know why yours isn't starting though.

Paul G - 31/7/06 at 01:28 PM

Cheers I'll have a look at that, but would this also explain why it wont turn over anymore? Could it have damaged something else

OX - 31/7/06 at 04:52 PM

drain the fuel,let the pump fill the carbs again and then try to start it,modern day fuel is shite for going off fast

Paul G - 31/7/06 at 04:58 PM

Cheers Ox I'll give that a go.

Paul G - 1/8/06 at 12:17 PM

Afraid it still doesnt work. the starter motor still just goes 1 turn then dies (as if you have left it in gear without the lurch forward). Battery is only 6 months old and was on charge all last night.

Any more ideas fellas?

spunky - 1/8/06 at 12:47 PM

Have you got a good connections to and from the starter.
sorry for asking the obvious, but i've arsed around with cars only to find the earth strap loose

John

Coose - 1/8/06 at 01:26 PM

What is the actual battery voltage with nothing connected?

David Jenkins - 1/8/06 at 01:30 PM

I'm with John - check that all electrical connections (battery AND earth) and ensure that everything is clean, oxide-free and tight.

The slightest resistance will kill the voltage completely, due to the very high currents involved.

David

Paul G - 1/8/06 at 03:39 PM

Thanks again - I'll check it all out. The battery was reading 13.47 volts when I tested it this morning.

OX - 1/8/06 at 05:54 PM

is it making a clicking noise when you press the starter button

Paul G - 2/8/06 at 08:23 AM

Hi Ox, Yep its doing that the starter motor relay seems to be working ok

David Jenkins - 2/8/06 at 08:41 AM

The clicking can indicate one or more problems: either there's enough current to operate the solenoid but insufficient for the main motor (connection problem), or the solenoid isn't making the internal connection to spin the motor.

Have you tried spinning the starter off the engine? Clamp the starter in a workmate or similar (or it will thrash around!) then use some jump leads to make the connections. You should get a clunk as the solenoid operates, followed immediately by the whirr of the motor. If you get the clunk without the whirr, then the solenoid's internal contacts are knackered - this is fixable in most starters. Alternatively, the starter's brushes may have gone.

David

spunky - 2/8/06 at 09:18 AM

hmmm, click? Solenoid struggling to pull in and hold.
My guess is the battery has had it.

Are you using a bike battery, and has it been installed? If so it may have drained down completely and you will struggle to get them to work again. They may still show good voltage across the terminals but lack any 'umph' to spin the motor.

Try jumping from a tintop or power pack.

Possible the starter may be duff, but would be surprised, bikes dont get used enough to wear them out.

John

More thoughts....rapid clicking indicates poor battery (solenoid pulls in, tries to turn starter, big power drain, solenoid drops out...and repeat)

A single click then nothing, or a slow turn of engine, poor connections or shagged starter.

[Edited on 2/8/06 by spunky]

Paul G - 2/8/06 at 01:33 PM

Cheers fellas I'll try all these suggestions when I get back to my motor

Paul G - 3/8/06 at 09:54 AM

Finally got some proper time on it today and its sorted! I had checked the main earth and it was tight nothing seemed loose, took the bolt off and realised there was oxidiation on the washers - sanded it all off and it fired up first time. Going to cover the connections with a big blob of grease this time, hopefully that'll prevent it happening again.

Thanks again for all your help, going for a drive now

DIY Si - 3/8/06 at 10:04 AM

Vaseline or similar is good for this. Also copper slip has done me well in the past.

Peteff - 3/8/06 at 11:14 AM

Tighten your connection then cover it with Vaseline or similar to keep the atmosphere out. Pour boiling water over the fuzz to remove it.