Board logo

R1 Questions
Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 02:06 PM

What age R1 engine is best I have a feeling when I looked before it was up to 03 but cant remember why?

What other parts will I need from the donor bike?

nitram38 - 3/6/08 at 02:08 PM

I would say an injection engine as it is easier to tune for emmissions with a power commander.

Dangle_kt - 3/6/08 at 02:24 PM

engine, carbs (injectors), loom, fuel pump, air box, coils, ecu, manifolds if your doing a single seater, you can also use the clocks of you have them

[Edited on 3/6/08 by Dangle_kt]

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 02:24 PM

So after 03 is not injection?

Does that mean I only need to keep the manifolds if making a single seater not that the engine is only ok for a single seater...

The plans are to put it in a two seater MK Indy?

[Edited on 3/6/08 by Gremlin]

Dangle_kt - 3/6/08 at 02:42 PM

if its a single seater you can use the manifold, if its in an MK you need to get a manifold made to fit (you can buy them off the shelf for a popular engine like an r1)

Its due to the engine being mounted side on in a seven, so the original manifold wont work.

fesycresy - 3/6/08 at 02:47 PM

'02 onwards are all injected.

TimC - 3/6/08 at 02:50 PM

To bang my now regular drum....
Any R1 engine 98-08 will likely deliver somewhere between 155bhp and 170bhp mounted in a front engined car. Much of the extra BHP from the later '04-on (16v) engines is acheived by clever ram-air intakes, something which is difficult to emulate in an Indy. Hence, I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra £££ over the earlier 20v motors. 98-01 (4XV and 5JJ) are on carbs and the 02-03 (5PW I think) is fundamentally the same motor but with injection. The carb'd engines are reputedly more violent in their power delivery but this will largely depend on the fueling set-up. I always intended to make my own loom, hence it suited me to use a 5JJ carb'd motor as it's simpler to wire. However any of the pre '04 motors would stil be my choice. If I wanted more power I'd go ZX12.

Years listed here relate to model years so don't assume that an '02 bike has a 5PW motor - some get registered later. Likewise, a limited supply of '02 model years may have been registered early.

You won't want the exhaust manifold in the Indy.

[Edited on 3/6/08 by TimC]

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 03:17 PM

So a 02-03 5PW with injection will probably be the best option for an Indy for me?

ZX12 would be nice but are MUCH more costly arnt they? What age ZX12?

TimC - 3/6/08 at 03:28 PM

In my opinion, probably yes.

I'd call Malc at Yorkshire engines and see what he can do.

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 03:54 PM

Great thanks sounds like a plan..

eznfrank - 3/6/08 at 04:16 PM

You're looking at around £1400 for a ZX12 kit with all the bits but you won't get an exhaust off the shelf for that one.

worX - 3/6/08 at 05:04 PM

Seconded!
Try to stay away from the '04 - '05 model...

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin
So a 02-03 5PW with injection will probably be the best option for an Indy for me?

ZX12 would be nice but are MUCH more costly arnt they? What age ZX12?

smart51 - 3/6/08 at 05:40 PM

2002 - 2003 R1 = fuel injection, 150 BHP and 12000 RPM.

2004 - 2006 R1 = fuel injection, 180 BHP and 14000 RPM. All of the extra power is at the higher revs. The engine is less torquey at low revs so perhaps of less use in a BEC. The gears are closer together and if anything further apart would suit a BEC. Lastly, those extra revs = more exhaust noise both at SVA and on track days.

1998 - 2001 carbed engines are not bad and are a bit cheaper.

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
2002 - 2003 R1 = fuel injection, 150 BHP and 12000 RPM.

2004 - 2006 R1 = fuel injection, 180 BHP and 14000 RPM.

As Tim mentioned though, much of that increase seems to be down to ram-air effect, and also because the earlier engines seem to kick out good (ie better than stock) power in a BEC. In the real world a good 5JJ / 5PW kicks out 135-140bhp at the rear wheels in a BEC which is nearer 160bhp at the crank. Later engines probably don't kick out any more than 170bhp at the crank without ram-air so the real differences are far less than the paper figures suggest.

I think if I was spending 04-06 R1 money and wanted a light 1000cc engine, I'd probably look at using the CBR1000RR or ZX10 before the R1.

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason

why but an older engine with no doubt more miles and less power, when you almost the same money you can have the later model.

I agree with about getting a newer / low mileage engine if possible, because even 5PWs are now 5+ years old so a low mileage one is probably tricky to find. Are 04-06 engines similar prices now then, as when I last had a fleeting look they seemed to be going for significantly more cash?

[Edited on 3/6/08 by ChrisGamlin]

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 06:58 PM

So an R1 is not the best engine to go for for the money or is it?

For around the 1K mark what would be the best bike engine for an BEC?

Power?
Value For Money?
Good support and off the shelf parts for (Newbie ish)

All getting more complicated as it goes on to decide..

Will a BEC really loose that much performance with a second person?

Can the newer R1 engines be used without the Ram-Air with just a slight preformance lose?

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 07:12 PM

Nah, at around the £1k mark I would personally say that the 5PW R1 is probably the engine Id chose. When I last looked, 04-06 engines seemed to be around the £1500 though, which is where there's other potentially equal or better choices, in my opinion.

Im not saying the 04 R1 engine is bad, and Im not saying the 03 engine is better than the 04 because Ive not driven a car with a later engine to say first hand, but from what Ive been told by people in the know in RGB etc, the newer engine isn't as good as the headline power figures suggest it might be.

Hellfire - 3/6/08 at 07:13 PM

For that sort of money, I'd stick with the R1. No harm in keeping your eyes out for that elusively cheap ZX12R/ZX10R/GSXR though.

Two up in a BEC will take the edge off the performance but nothing more and not hugely noticeable. BTW, same goes for a CEC too but it's much less noticeable cos they're much slower to start with.

Phil

PS - Forget about ram air. You simply won't achieve the speeds required for ram air to take effect in a brick shaped seven.

[Edited on 3-6-08 by Hellfire]

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 07:15 PM

So a 02-03 5PW with injection will probably be best for me?

Ok I think its going to be between this or going with a car engine like the C20XE and trying to modify after building to get the extra power.

Thanks all for your help

Hellfire - 3/6/08 at 07:18 PM

No,no, don't even think car engine. Get that thought out of your mind.....

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 07:19 PM

95% sure it will be the R1!!!

Do they still need the oil sump plate if fitted in an Indy?

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 07:24 PM

If only road use its debatable, but for track use virtually everyone does, for the sake of £30 or so its not worth risking.

worX - 3/6/08 at 07:25 PM

My comments that go against the 04 - 05 engines are not spoken from personal experience, only regurgitated knowledge.

And on top of that, only really from a race (RGB & Sidecars) point of view so could be perfectly fine in a road car that wasn't going to see the track.
Steve

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
I disagree with the comments regarding the 2004-2006 R1 engines.

1, There reliable
2, They produce more bhp
3, They produce no less Torque
4, They rev higher
5, There no louder than any other R1

if it was my money then i'd buy a 2006 engine.

why but an older engine with no doubt more miles and less power, when you almost the same money you can have the later model.

Btw, i've driven a 2001,2003,2006 R1 powered cars, and anyone who says the earlier ones are better clearly hasn't been in all 3 types.

Chris

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 07:35 PM

Car would mainly be a road going car but could see the track in the future...

With the R1 is the EXUP still kept or bypassed?

Jubal - 3/6/08 at 08:11 PM

quote:

If you use the R1 clocks you'll want to keep it or live with the error code...

nstrug - 3/6/08 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Car would mainly be a road going car but could see the track in the future...

Ditched, unless you are using the original manifold i.e. in a mid-engine, transverse mounted role.

The advantages of the EXUP are debateable to say the least. Supposedly, they increase low end torque by increasing back pressure but if you will have a cat to do that for you anyway.

They are always ditched on bikes running a full system and none of Yam's racebikes use them either.

Nick

Hellfire - 3/6/08 at 08:32 PM

Ditch it and get one of Sams servo subs (Bottom of the page). Or one of these from the UK

Phil

[Edited on 3-6-08 by Hellfire]

TimC - 3/6/08 at 08:47 PM

Or use other clocks!

Jubal - 3/6/08 at 08:59 PM

How much does the exup weigh? This thread reminded me I needed one to remove the error code on my R1 clocks. Is it worth almost 100 quid to buy one of those emulators?

[Edited on 3/6/08 by Jubal]

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 09:10 PM

Ive never had an EXUP valve as Im not using the R1 clocks, but Im pretty sure you can seperate the EXUP solenoid from the valve itself then just plug it in and tuck it under the dash, so the ECU still see's the electrical side of the EXUP and therfore no errors.

Jubal - 3/6/08 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
Ive never had an EXUP valve as Im not using the R1 clocks, but Im pretty sure you can seperate the EXUP solenoid from the valve itself then just plug it in and tuck it under the dash, so the ECU still see's the electrical side of the EXUP and therfore no errors.

Nice one. 100 quid saved!

Gremlin - 3/6/08 at 10:17 PM

I read that not only does it cause error lights to pop up but problems with the running some times. Could that be right?

nitram38 - 4/6/08 at 06:54 AM

You can remove the exup if you are not using the bike clocks as the engine management will run the engine fine without it.
I do the baffle plates for 04-07 engines.

smart51 - 4/6/08 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
Im pretty sure you can seperate the EXUP solenoid from the valve itself

Yes you can. Mine is in the engine bay. Even the motor weighs 1kg but it makes the clock fault go away.

adithorp - 4/6/08 at 07:53 AM

I made up BobC's Exup electronic widget and the code has gone. Size of a match box and less than a fiver.

edit to add...see this tread and the link in it.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=70703

adrian

[Edited on 4/6/08 by adithorp]

Gremlin - 4/6/08 at 08:27 AM

Great, is bobs solution now tried and tested and come with no additional faults?

adithorp - 4/6/08 at 12:09 PM

Mine works fine. Don't even know its there. If I can make one anyboby can ('cos I'm poo at soldering).

adrian

Davey D - 4/6/08 at 07:19 PM

Ive made one up for my 2006 5VY, and it makes the error code disappear