Board logo

Do these cars not scare you to death?
paulmw - 3/6/08 at 09:01 PM

#pussy mode engaged#

I went for another blat tonight and still cant get my head around driving a BEC 7 (Day 4 following DVLA). I have driven M3's, VX220 tubbies etc but nothing is as brutal as the power delivery of these cars

I get the feeling that its going to chew me up and spit me out

Anyone else have similar experiences?

blakep82 - 3/6/08 at 09:06 PM

i've not driven a BEC 7, but a legend. not sure if it was up to full power, but you're right!

you ARE a pussy

Joking there's just something insane about them

Dangle_kt - 3/6/08 at 09:09 PM

Try it on a track, it makes sense there. Or at least thats what I found with a supersports bike, you ride one on the rode and it feels downright dangerous but on a track it feels spot on.

I remember the first time I jumped on a 600cc plus bike and thought I was going backwards the acceleration was so brutal, within a few months I was flooring it off the lights in the wet with one hand resting on the tank, your brain just needs to re-calibrate, but track time will really help your confidence (cos that is all its down to)

worX - 3/6/08 at 09:10 PM

you forgot to [/pussy] mate......

Get a decent set of tyres and then we'll go out for a spin together

Steve

adithorp - 3/6/08 at 09:12 PM

Well after 2 drives ,2 words come to mind "ballistic" and "insane". I'm being progressive with the loud pedal 'till I get used to it but sometimes its hard not push.

Are you out and about tommorow evening? I was thinking of heading out towards Chelford.

adrian

tjoh84 - 3/6/08 at 09:20 PM

after my first drive i got out couldnt stop smileing (cant spell) and felt like i was on drugs

locoR1 - 3/6/08 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
Do these cars not scare you to death?

Every time I give it a good thrashing! No better feeling gets the adrenaline flowing

Couldn't agree more with the cements about getting on a track their a different car altogether and a great opportunity to explore the limits in relative safety.

BenB - 3/6/08 at 09:33 PM

Oh yes

It's not always only the passenger screaming in my car

I've been practising burn-outs recently... Getting the back snaking around nicely. Sheddy old a539s need replacing soon anyway and it'll make the tarmac grippier for the tintops behind me (such an excellent public servant- they should give me an award)...

The really scary bit is when you realise you're not even using full-throttle....

Scariest thing I ever did (other than accidentally power-sliding round a corner with loads of beemers, mercs and poncy tintops parked on the side of the road waiting to be side-swipped) was when I accidentally changed down instead of up on the exit of a round-about. I was attempting to follow someone too and gave it plenty of beans. Spun up the rear wheels, loads of smoke, doughnuted it 180 across the opposite side of the road (luckily it was ROI and no-one around)... came to a halt exactly parallel to the kerb, 10cm between the tyres (front and rear) and the pavement... Who needs senna tablets

Only trouble I find is that driving in the LocoPan sure gets my kidneys working!!! I have to stop to water the horse.....

eccsmk - 3/6/08 at 09:39 PM

ive only been about a mile (not sva'd yet)
and i couldn't get enough grip to be scared cant wait to try a proper blat (when tested)

welderman - 3/6/08 at 09:43 PM

they are fantastic to drive, wait until you want more power, ive still got my TURBO blade engine that i took out of the Indy, just waiting for the day i find a suitable car for it to go back in, whoooosh.

JoelP - 3/6/08 at 10:04 PM

i have to say, if you dont get out shaking, you probably weren't pushing hard enough!

ChrisGamlin - 3/6/08 at 10:08 PM

I dont find the acceleration scary on the road any more, but roads that are anything less than smooth to tend to induce a bit of sphincter twitching due to having a live axled car primarily set up for the track.

Ive been out as a passenger in my mate's Megabusa turbo, and that did feel about as fast as you'd ever want to go on the road, plus a little bit more

skydivepaul - 4/6/08 at 01:23 AM

yes these cars are quick, but as already mentioned you get used to it.

Once you are used to it the fun is then taking other people for rides and scaring the sh1t out of them. I took one young guy (16) out on a track day once and when we got back to the pits he got out and sat straight down on the floor. Hw couldnt stand up for 5 minutes and he had turned green / pale

. What a result

Stop being a pussy and get out there.
Safer than a bike

[Edited on 4/6/08 by skydivepaul]

locoR1 - 4/6/08 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i have to say, if you dont get out shaking, you probably weren't pushing hard enough!

Glad you said that I thought it was just me!

rf900rush - 4/6/08 at 06:39 AM

Went out in a Dax Rush Turbo Busa.
Shaking for an for 1/2 hour after.

Makes any thing else seem slow.
Even my old Kawazaki ZX6R seemed slow after that.

Took my neigbough out, his thought were " is that it".
So don't give any one a ride when they drive a 10Sec 1/4 mile 2 to yank tank.

adithorp - 4/6/08 at 07:51 AM

I'm going out in mine tonight and I'm already shaking!

adrian

bimbleuk - 4/6/08 at 08:22 AM

Just as a comparison my Striker has 460BHP/ton (CEC) and our Radical Clubsport has 450BHP/ton (BEC).

Now I know which one scares me more on track by quite a margin due to the rose jointed suspension, 11K RPM limiter and solid mounted Hyabusa! My Striker feels sedate and almost refined by comparison.

wilkingj - 4/6/08 at 08:40 AM

If this is your first Se7en, and its a fast one....

STAY A PUSSY for a little while.

Learn your car, ie learn its capabilities, and how it drives.

You dont want drive your car beyond your, or its capabilities.

Many people have crashed their pride and joy, just by NOT getting used to it first.

These cars are just AWESOME. Dont spoil it by trashing it, or more importantly trashing yourself.

Namely take a little care for a while!!

Be Safe and not Sorry, or worse still Dead!

nick205 - 4/6/08 at 09:37 AM

I have about 110bhp from my 2.0 Pinto'd Indy. After a driving career consisting of FWD hot hatch tin tops the Indy has been a driving revelation.

Having driven it for a year in all weathers and then stuffed it in a hedge in the pissing rain I'm now fixing and fettling.

Does the car scare me? - NO
Can I scare myself in the car? - YES
Do I want/need more power? - NOT YET

IMHO some more time/money spent on setting the car up better and getting some track experience would be the best way forward (for me).

mackei23b - 4/6/08 at 09:37 AM

I do remember going round Knoockhill as a passenger in a friends XE powered Westfiled for the first time, when he held the lap record for his class.

It took me 3 corners to realise that we would go round the bend without a crash!

TimC - 4/6/08 at 10:07 AM

I agree with the comments about on-road character. I'd honestly have a CEC if I wanted to use it in the road - I just found a BEC too extreme to use 'sensibly.' I have a high number of points on my license which also skews my opinion. That said, BECs abso-bl@@dy-lutely rule on track. The only issues is keeping noise below seemingly ever-decreasing limits.

Jon Ison - 4/6/08 at 08:06 PM

I'm definitely in the "need more power" phase.