Board logo

02 R1 to baffle or not to baffle
CRAIGR - 26/6/08 at 08:05 PM

Anyone successfully running a 5pw r1 without a sump baffle or is that a big no no.??
If so who's the best person to acquire one from ??

ChrisGamlin - 26/6/08 at 08:52 PM

If its going on track, definitely yes IMHO. On the road you'd probably get away without, but for £50 its not worth risking I dont think.

As to suppliers, a chap called Jon Rarity makes them. If you seach "JB7" on here you might find details of sourcing direct as I think he sells them on ebay.

There were also one or two people on here selling them, so a search might reveal other sources, Nitram possibly?

tjoh84 - 26/6/08 at 09:38 PM

malc from yourshire engines gave me the number for john got mine from him even comes with full instructions and fast del and takes paypal

mark chandler - 26/6/08 at 09:49 PM

Just google a few pictures and break out the jigsaw and a bit of tin or ally, costs pennies then !

There is nothing clever about these, infact its easy to improve on them by having a non return lip on the holes. Mine took all of 20 minutes to make.

hobbsy - 26/6/08 at 10:19 PM

I know of a couple of early ones that were quickly lashed up that have cracked and failed with possible engine damage.

I know its not the locost thing to do but for ~£30 to £50 I'd buy a sexy CNC stamped one as some of the bits you have to make end up fairly thin and you don't want it vibrating to bits.

Mine had non-return lips on the holes IIRC.

CRAIGR - 27/6/08 at 07:02 AM

Where was yours from Hobbsy??

quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I know of a couple of early ones that were quickly lashed up that have cracked and failed with possible engine damage.

I know its not the locost thing to do but for ~£30 to £50 I'd buy a sexy CNC stamped one as some of the bits you have to make end up fairly thin and you don't want it vibrating to bits.

Mine had non-return lips on the holes IIRC.

CRAIGR - 29/6/08 at 09:22 AM

Who does the cnc stamped ones??