Board logo

IVA Pics - IVA on tueday...
locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 08:03 PM

Hi Guys,

Please can you have a look at my build and let me know if you spot any IVA fail points.

IGNORE the holes in the scuttle. that's where my repeaters once were. will fill the holes before IVA
I also have a bonnet to put on obviously.

I also am going to get the tracking done tomorrow so have not yet covered the track rods.

franky - 5/5/11 at 08:10 PM

That looks nice

CRAIGR - 5/5/11 at 08:11 PM

Adjusting nut at base of centre mirror may need covering.

Hows my exhaust,gas bottles and regulator

Gotta say thats looking pretty good though.

[Edited on 5/5/11 by CRAIGR]

Davegtst - 5/5/11 at 08:22 PM

Nose cone has no grille. Fog and reverse lights are on the wrong sides. Can you vent the engine breather to atmosphere via a filter? Thought it had to be recirculated. Looks very nice.

[Edited on 5/5/11 by Davegtst]

[Edited on 5/5/11 by Davegtst]

jack_t - 5/5/11 at 08:25 PM

-camber adjuster locknut needs covering
-not sure eyebolts on seatbelts are iva compliant either
-you need some 25-30mm pipe around under the spring collet on the front shocks as they have sharp edges
-reverse lever labeling?
-pipes from brake resivoir to cylinder need cabling to secure them more
-seems stupid but i had my foglight mounted like you and it wasnt mounted vertical and that was a fail
-you have taken the sierra wheel off if you have the horn piece for it so that its as you would see it in the sierra then put that back
on as it will defiantly pass as it is already on a production car

ReMan - 5/5/11 at 08:25 PM

very very nice
What colour is it?

It looks very tidy and well put together.
Is the fog light vertical?
Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Davedew - 5/5/11 at 08:26 PM

Firstly I must say what a nice looking car you have built.
A couple of things I have noticed. Do you have a grill to fit as they might pick up on some radius's possibly.
Secondly the fog and reverse lights are the wrong way round. The fog light has to central or on the offside of the car.

Hope that helps

Dave

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
very very nice
What colour is it?

Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Grill = there is one, its just not clear in the photos ]

Wing mirror mounts? They are bolted to the fibreglass?

Its Kawasaki Racing green (metallic)

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jack_t
-camber adjuster locknut needs covering
-not sure eyebolts on seatbelts are iva compliant either
-you need some 25-30mm pipe around under the spring collet on the front shocks as they have sharp edges
-reverse lever labeling?
-pipes from brake resivoir to cylinder need cabling to secure them more
-seems stupid but i had my foglight mounted like you and it wasnt mounted vertical and that was a fail
-you have taken the sierra wheel off if you have the horn piece for it so that its as you would see it in the sierra then put that back
on as it will defiantly pass as it is already on a production car

camber adjustment nut has self imalgimating_ tape around

pretty sure eye bolts are ok

thought the springs were exempt now?

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 08:32 PM

Track rods = to be covered after tracking is done

engine breather = what should I do about that???

I will adjust the fog light to be vertical and swap them over - doh thats a mission!

ReMan - 5/5/11 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83
quote:
very very nice
What colour is it?

Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Cracking colour.
The wing mirror mounts may be close on the external radiusness

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 08:40 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
very very nice
What colour is it?

Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Cracking colour.

Yeah thought that today when fitting them, anyone got an idea on how to cover them?

Bigheppy - 5/5/11 at 08:58 PM

Rear exhaust mounting ?

rayward - 5/5/11 at 09:08 PM

dash warning lights ???

do they have the correct symbols on them, which the light shines through ?

if not you may need to change them

Ray

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rayward
dash warning lights ???

do they have the correct symbols on them, which the light shines through ?

if not you may need to change them

Ray

I have this for reverse
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/LAMP_WARNING_LIGHT_GREEN_WLSLAMG

this for brake fluid
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/SMALL_CHROME_BEZEL_BRAKE_WARNING_LIGHT_WLSBRK

and this for fog
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/REAR_FOG_WARNING_LIGHT_AMBER_WLSRFA

I have a plain red light for the handbrake

That sound ok?

big-vee-twin - 5/5/11 at 09:17 PM

Is fog light vertical and you need a label on bias bar set up worded as in IVA manual
Think you need an oil catch tank too.

[Edited on 5/5/11 by big-vee-twin]

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Is fog light vertical and you need a label on bias bar set up worded as in IVA manual

Do you mean my reverse lever? Don't have twin master cylinders.

big-vee-twin - 5/5/11 at 09:21 PM

No label needed then, looked like you may have two masters I stand corrected

God can't spell, that car looks just great though very nice

[Edited on 5/5/11 by big-vee-twin]

se7en - 5/5/11 at 09:35 PM

Hi

Your rear FOG and REVERSE lights are on the wrong sides.

Fog MUST be on the right and Reverse can be on any side.

HTH

Tom

Sorry Dave didn't see your post

[Edited on 5/5/11 by se7en]

ReMan - 5/5/11 at 09:43 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
very very nice
What colour is it?

Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Cracking colour.

Yeah thought that today when fitting them, anyone got an idea on how to cover them?

This sort of thing
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Yamaha_YZF_R1_Motorcycle_Mirror

locostbuyer83 - 5/5/11 at 09:44 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
very very nice
What colour is it?

Will it get a grill?
Wing Mirror mounts?

Cracking colour.

This sort of thing
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Yamaha_YZF_R1_Motorcycle_Mirror

My IVA is on tuesday. Need a quick fix.

ReMan - 5/5/11 at 10:07 PM

s/a tape wrap?

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 06:24 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll crack on making those amendments today and repost tonight with new photos.

Like to get this passed on Tuesday

stevegough - 6/5/11 at 07:12 AM

You have done an absolutely cracking job, there - but you wanted some input...

Firstly, The volume inside the assumed planes of the two front wishbones is exempt from radius issues - your top mount of the coilover will need edging if it both falls outside of this virtual 'box' AND it can be contacted with the 100mm sphere.

Secondly - they will definitely frown on the temporary nature of the steering wheel crash - pad - put the sierra one back on for the test.

Third (and lastly) the Foglight will fail (as others have said) because its on the wrong side and it MUST be fitted on a vertical orientation. The fog lens is designed to concentrate the emitted light and throw a parrallel beam out - this has to be parrallel to the floor.

Other than that, check that safety - related bolts all have locking devices on them - usually nylocs, but tabs are used in some places. This applies to suspension bolts, steering column / rack / extensions, braking eg master cylinder mounts. My major fail point was where the steering column joined to the extension there was no locking device.

Best of luck for next week.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
You have done an absolutely cracking job, there - but you wanted some input...

Firstly, The volume inside the assumed planes of the two front wishbones is exempt from radius issues - your top mount of the coilover will need edging if it both falls outside of this virtual 'box' AND it can be contacted with the 100mm sphere.

Secondly - they will definitely frown on the temporary nature of the steering wheel crash - pad - put the sierra one back on for the test.

Third (and lastly) the Foglight will fail (as others have said) because its on the wrong side and it MUST be fitted on a vertical orientation. The fog lens is designed to concentrate the emitted light and throw a parrallel beam out - this has to be parrallel to the floor.

Other than that, check that safety - related bolts all have locking devices on them - usually nylocs, but tabs are used in some places. This applies to suspension bolts, steering column / rack / extensions, braking eg master cylinder mounts. My major fail point was where the steering column joined to the extension there was no locking device.

Best of luck for next week.

Thanks for the input, I know the steering wheel cover is crap but the sierra one wont fit with my mk3 fiesta shroud. I'll order a IVA friendly steering wheel if thats whats needed?

PeteS2k - 6/5/11 at 08:13 AM

If you're using a Fiesta column / shroud, then what about getting a Fiesta wheel for IVA? Easier to source than Sierra, I'd have thought, too

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PeteS2k
If you're using a Fiesta column / shroud, then what about getting a Fiesta wheel for IVA? Easier to source than Sierra, I'd have thought, too

good idea, not sure if it would fit on the sierra column though.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 09:39 AM

I've made the modifications as suggested...

Thoughts?

dunk3 - 6/5/11 at 10:48 AM

Cracking looking car, you will need to cover the bottom bolt on the head light, i used a cable gland on mine

designer - 6/5/11 at 10:58 AM

Brilliant build, well done.

Shouldn't the exhaust have a cover?

adithorp - 6/5/11 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by designer

No. that was only in the draft IVA doc' and dropped before the final one. Just has to meet the radius requirements.

Think you'll need covers (cable glands) on the h/lamp bolts. Fiesta s/wheel should fit as the hex on the column is the same as far as I know. However I trimmed the locking bit (toothed ring) off the back of my Sierra wheel (with angle grinder) to clear my paddle shift and it passed OK, so you could always try that.

40inches - 6/5/11 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by designer

Not for IVA.

blakep82 - 6/5/11 at 12:13 PM

for the steering wheel, everyone will argue with me here, but look what it says in the manual

quote:

Steering wheel construction
It is vital that the wheel is constructed so as to minimise the risk of facial injuries or concussion. The rim of the wheel should be padded or at least made from a material which when deformed does not splinter or fragment. The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim. Wheels with a very deep dish are stiffer than flatter wheels and, as such will absorb less energy.
The centre boss will often be of a collapsible type comprising a convoluted crushable section or a series of metal fingers with a deliberate fold introduced to initiate a collapse.
Bolts used to secure the wheel to its boss (if exposed) should ideally be flush with the wheel surface but otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable.
Bare metal spokes are allowed as long as they conform to the edge radius requirements. Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted.
Note: It is possible to fit an 'aftermarket' steering wheel which has been approved for use on any design of column. These will be referred to as “Separate Technical Units”. If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case, a “Separate Technical Unit” may be acceptable.

absolutely nothing wrong with fitting a aftermarket wheel, ok, might need to write to the manufacturer which you may not have time for.
not sure what your current wheel is from. but the padding is only needed if the centre isn't recessed below the rim, which it appears to be. have a read through the protective steering section in the manual (link below) i think it'll be fine before you start worrying about sierra shrouds and stuff, which i see you've been doing already.
and please have a think about the carbon 'effect' stuff a current pet hate of mine lol

ashg - 6/5/11 at 12:23 PM

edge trim round the outer edge of the dash

Promai Joe - 6/5/11 at 12:25 PM

lots of points have been made, take some trim for the seatbelt ends which attach to the eyebolts, mine were considered too sharp. also does the power feed to the starter motor have a shroud or terminal cover? is your chassis number stamped in the right side?

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Promai Joe
lots of points have been made, take some trim for the seatbelt ends which attach to the eyebolts, mine were considered too sharp.

quote:
also does the power feed to the starter motor have a shroud or terminal cover?

yes

quote:
is your chassis number stamped in the right side?

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
edge trim round the outer edge of the dash

is that really necessary? Its only about 4mm thick?

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 12:36 PM

Steering wheel changed to sierra - modified the fiesta shroud.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 12:37 PM

just a note, thanks for everyone's input, its very appreciated!!

Davegtst - 6/5/11 at 12:44 PM

I'd say the trim round the dash is definatly necessary and would make it look better too. Are you allowed to just tape things up? Thought it had to look as if it was a production car.

adithorp - 6/5/11 at 12:59 PM

Dash edge will have to meet the radius requiremonts. Yours looks like it won't so put some trim on. Not sure about the covers on the seat belt hooks.

adithorp - 6/5/11 at 01:11 PM

I agree with blke in principle but in practice...

"...otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable..."

Few aftermarket wheels have radii large enough on the spokes to pass.

"...Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted..."

That means no slots, so rules out a lot more wheels.

"...If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case..."

Define satisfactory.

Testers tend to err on the side of caution and that oftn leads to them failing aftermarket wheels and home made centre pads.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I agree with blke in principle but in practice...

"...otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable..."

Few aftermarket wheels have radii large enough on the spokes to pass.

"...Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted..."

That means no slots, so rules out a lot more wheels.

"...If the presenter can provide satisfactory documentary evidence that this is the case..."

Define satisfactory.

Testers tend to err on the side of caution and that oftn leads to them failing aftermarket wheels and home made centre pads.

n/p sierra wheel now in place. its a joke because the tester knows you are going to sling the sierra wheel the minute you get home. look at the size of it!

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 01:25 PM

dash edge trimmed...

PeteS2k - 6/5/11 at 01:50 PM

Are you working these suggested fixes in real-time??

I think your seat-belt hook covers should be ok - they look the same as Dax supply for just the same job - although I didn't use them myself, as I went through IVA with bolt-in belts.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PeteS2k
Are you working these suggested fixes in real-time??

yes mate, got a pc in the garage and only got a few days to go...

adithorp - 6/5/11 at 01:52 PM

Yep, it's bonkers. That big wheel will help with the exempt area

How much do the clocks protrude as, unless they fall within the "exempt area " around the wheel (diameter of the wheel +127mm) they may need to be radiused where they protrude from the dash. Does that trim on the dash make it impossible for a 10mm ball to contact the edge; It'll need to to pass?

Fast work though. Don't think I've seen alterations done so quick after comments.

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Yep, it's bonkers. That big wheel will help with the exempt area

How much do the clocks protrude as, unless they fall within the "exempt area " around the wheel (diameter of the wheel +127mm) they may need to be radiused where they protrude from the dash. Does that trim on the dash make it impossible for a 10mm ball to contact the edge; It'll need to to pass?

Fast work though. Don't think I've seen alterations done so quick after comments.

Not sure about the clocks... here are some pictures to help...

** Ruler is on edge of steering wheel

[Edited on 6/5/11 by locostbuyer83]

twybrow - 6/5/11 at 02:06 PM

Stu - your car looks stunning. Good job sir....!

adithorp - 6/5/11 at 02:22 PM

difficult to tell but I think only the far left one is outside the exempt area. Cut a ring of rubber to sit around itmaybe?

stevegough - 6/5/11 at 02:29 PM

Adrian may be right there - the only IVA compatible rings are the half-round profile. There are ways around it - (if you pardon the pun) - a layer of lovely hardboard to prevent the sphere touching the rings or some sort of rubber trim. I'm another one who's also very impressed by the modification speed you are working at!

Johneturbo - 6/5/11 at 03:23 PM

Car looks great

for the clocks how about some hard dense foam stuck on with double sided tape, it's what i used, but that was for SVA

Description
Description

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 03:32 PM

Right, i've moved the clocks inward a bit to loose the edges... what do you think?

Davegtst - 6/5/11 at 08:45 PM

Wasn't there a problem a while ago with the steering wheel exemption zone? I though you had to have some kind of screen to mark the boundary between interior and exterior. Might be a problem, are you planning to put an aeroscreen on?

locostbuyer83 - 6/5/11 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Wasn't there a problem a while ago with the steering wheel exemption zone? I though you had to have some kind of screen to mark the boundary between interior and exterior. Might be a problem, are you planning to put an aeroscreen on?

Wasnt planning to. Not read anything in the manual about it?

Davegtst - 7/5/11 at 02:07 PM

I know it's not in the manual but i'm sure someone had a problem recently with it. Probably just a tester being a bit of a jobsworth.

locostbuyer83 - 7/5/11 at 08:02 PM

Finished everything on the car today. Got the tracking to do on Monday and it's all done.

Thanks to everyone that commented on this thread.

JAMSTER - 8/5/11 at 04:04 PM

hope it all goes well tuesday. be good to see/hear how you get on as i'm not to far away from having an iva myself.
your car look's well

[Edited on 8/5/11 by JAMSTER]

gottabedone - 8/5/11 at 04:35 PM

Cracking looking car

Good luck!!

Steve

SteveWalker - 8/5/11 at 05:17 PM

You've mentioned having a warning light with the correct symbol on for the brake fluid and a plain red one for the handbrake and I think from the pictures that your reservoir has a push to test button on top. Usually these days there is only the one light, so the handrake acts as a lamp test. I'm sure there was some mention when IVA was coming in (but it might have been dropped) that the lamp should be able to be tested from the driver's seat?

[Edited on 8/5/11 by SteveWalker]

big_wasa - 8/5/11 at 05:34 PM

Yep most people link it with the hand brake and pull that to test.

locostbuyer83 - 8/5/11 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yep most people link it with the hand brake and pull that to test.

Ok, I'll sort that tomorrow. Thanks guys

CRAIGR - 9/5/11 at 07:22 PM

Good luck tomorrow Stu

locostbuyer83 - 9/5/11 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Good luck tomorrow Stu

Thanks mate. It's all on the trailer ready to go... I'll let u guys know how it goes.

Davegtst - 9/5/11 at 10:25 PM

Good luck, be sure to let us all know how you got on.

franky - 10/5/11 at 01:58 PM

hope it went well

locostbuyer83 - 10/5/11 at 02:47 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155113