Board logo

button head bolts ?
givemethebighammer - 20/9/04 at 09:34 PM

what does Mr SVA think about button head bolts as alternatives to standard ones. I can't see any radius issues other than possibly the allen key socket in the middle ?

I was thinking of using some stainless buttons to attach my roll bar and aeroscreen supports (bolts marked as 10.9 so should be OK)

thanks

nick205 - 20/9/04 at 09:40 PM

had the same thoughts myself for fixing my dashboard to the scuttle.

Anyone got any SVA experience?

JohnN - 20/9/04 at 09:43 PM

I'm also keen to see some authorative opinions/experiences to this issue......

My dash is secured to the scuttle by M6 button head bolts, in the same way as Luego. I was wondering if I might have to fill in the allen sockets for Mr SVA

John

rusty nuts - 21/9/04 at 05:37 PM

I hope they are OK as I've used them on my windscreen supports. Don't think there should be any problems . You can't get a finger into the allen sockets let alone the testing ball . Rusty

zetec - 21/9/04 at 06:04 PM

I used them on my roll bar and nothing was said at SVA. Plenty of people use them on front wings and don't seem to have any probs. Not sure even if the smaller sizes stick out enough to be included.

Mk-Ninja - 21/9/04 at 06:17 PM

I used them on my roll bar and dash, they never commented about them

RoadkillUK - 21/9/04 at 06:18 PM

I've used them on both my front wings and also to fasten the lower 1/2 of my nosecone.

SVA man didn't mention them at all.

kingr - 23/9/04 at 07:55 AM

I used them to fasten the top of my tranny tunnel and no comment was made.

Kingr

spunky - 25/9/04 at 08:31 AM

Used button heads all over the interior, no problems.

John

Mix - 26/9/04 at 04:31 PM

Nowhere near the SVA stage yet so I can't comment from experience, but it might be worth noting that many new cars have 'button' headed fasteners with the tool recesses radiused.

Mick

Kissy - 12/10/04 at 07:02 AM

Or you could use what Karters use which is a countersunk washer (Plastic, all colours) which takes countersunk screws/bolts. Look very tidy. I used black numberplate screws to fix the dash to scuttle, cheap, light and simple.

David Jenkins - 12/10/04 at 07:30 AM

I've just passed the SVA, and I've got dozens of button-head hex screws all round the passenger compartment. They're holding down the tunnel cover, the scuttle, handbrake surround, and so on. All the tester did was to run his hand over them, and made no comment.

David