Board logo

CEC and BEC ?
Peteff - 14/11/04 at 12:10 AM

If it's in a car it's a car engine, if it's in a bike it's a bike engine. If it was still a bike engine we wouldn't have any sva emissions problems. You put it in a car it ceases to be a bike engine. If you put a later engine in a pre cat bodyshell like the mini or sooty van conversion it comes under the vehicle year. Could it be registered in an early car and then swapped into a Locost or similar to avoid the emissions test. I have a Y reg Mini sat here doing nothing.

JoelP - 14/11/04 at 12:19 AM

its a good idea. but i think they would still go by the age of the engine, not the car it is in. worth a try? i suspect it would work in some areas and not in others.

if it comes to it, why not do the SVA with an old car engine, make sure you get a q plate, then do a transplant and put the bike engine in. no emissions tests ever!

Hellfire - 14/11/04 at 12:30 AM

My god Pete - you worming yourself around the system?

I agree with JoelP - I'm sure it's been done before that way, eh-hem - allegedly!

zetec - 14/11/04 at 07:32 AM

It goes on the age of the engine. I had to get a letter from Ford showing the date it was made. The need for the donor car to have a cat or not was not taken into account.

That said worth a go.

kingr - 14/11/04 at 03:36 PM

The nice chap at Taunton SVA said that lots of people had successfully done exactly what you suggested.

Kingr