Board logo

r1 emmisions fish tank valves
adrian - 7/2/06 at 09:20 PM

hi,
im nearly ready to put my car through sva, ive heard people use fish tank valves to reduce the emissions, also i dont have a cat, can u get a cat to fit my silencer as i have no room on manifold (silencer fitted to 4-1 collector)

RazMan - 7/2/06 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adrian
ive heard people use fish tank valves to reduce the emissions

Eh? How does that work then?

adrian - 7/2/06 at 09:34 PM

hi raz dude!
ive heard that the valves bleed air into the intake thus giving a cleaner burn. the cat keeps gases in the exhast longer burning the bad stuff, im trying to find out where to get these valves? and a cat /silencer in one unit

dave1888 - 7/2/06 at 09:40 PM

IIRC these are bleed valves on the intake manifold which are adjustable. Bogg Bros fit them to there manifolds.

RazMan - 7/2/06 at 09:41 PM

This sounds much like the Ecotec valve which apparently does similar things. They also claim a significant power increase but I have my doubts.

Anything that ACTUALLY reduces emissions can't be a bad thing but SVA will want to see a cat on an engine that originally had one. I'm borrowing a cat for my SVA then refitting a dummy cat for the rest of the time.

adrian - 7/2/06 at 09:48 PM

sorry my ignorance,
what does iirc mean? who are bogg bros?

adrian - 7/2/06 at 09:53 PM

i AM fitting a cat that was my original question ,i want to know if there is cat that is fitted inside a silencer , i have an r1 does anyone know what fish tank valves to use?

RazMan - 7/2/06 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adrian
sorry my ignorance,
what does iirc mean? who are bogg bros?

IIRC=If I remember correctly Bogg Brothers are well known fabricators /engine builders - if you do a search you will find a lot of results, especially just recently.
http://www.boggbros.co.uk/

I'm afraid I havent a clue about the R1 cat - maybe other R1 builders will step in here.

[Edited on 7-2-06 by RazMan]

kev R1 - 7/2/06 at 10:30 PM

there was a post on here not so long back from 'snoopy' who used to work for mk i think that goes inyo quite a bit pf detail about this fish tank valve business!

smart51 - 8/2/06 at 08:06 AM

For my carbed R1 I fitted a cat between the down pipes and silencer and then adjusted the idle fuel mixture at my local Hi-Q tyre and exhaust place on their MOT gas analyser to get the readings right.

The guys at Hi-Q were really good as they didn't charge me for using their machine.

I think that some people use valves to bleed air into a slighty rich fuel mixture to get the readings right rather than adjust the mixture but why go to the expense?

Paul G - 8/2/06 at 09:24 AM

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=38298&page=2

I used the valves in an emission test last week and it flew through, got my sva on friday so fingers crossed....!

phillippe - 8/2/06 at 06:10 PM

wot do u think of this ..i took all 4 balance scrows out from between carbs and cilender head and turnd idel up 4 the test and took to my frends mot station ok pass. and took to sva center and passed also.wos i lucky or is it ok.after test i reternd the blanks to wer thay go and turned the idel back down..lol