Board logo

Do I need Engine Number
mad4x4 - 27/4/06 at 05:20 PM

He I've searched and I can't find the engine number on my 1.6 CVH ford Engine (E Reg XR2) . Ford told me it was near the exhaust manifold but it not there not even a flat bit to put it on so it not been ground off.

Do I need the engin number ?

muzchap - 27/4/06 at 05:33 PM

I would say 'Yes'

You need to be able to prove the age of your engine. Via a FAX from Ford.

The SVA/DVLA will check this - plus it forms part of your V5.

DIY Si - 27/4/06 at 05:54 PM

I also have this problem. BUt my engine didn't come with a v5. Just from the scrappy/local dismantalers.

Mansfield - 27/4/06 at 05:58 PM

I must admit I have not yet noticed a number on either of my 1.6 CVHs.

I'll have a good look later.

doughie - 27/4/06 at 06:16 PM

can you stamp your own in?

with undetermined engine age does the sva examiner just test emissions as if new (toughest test)?

chris_harris_ - 27/4/06 at 06:18 PM

Read somewhere that if you don't have an engine number you can "make one up" but you wouldn't be able to prove the age of the engine.
Problem i have is, i've got a zx9r engine, no number on it and don't know if its a B C or E engine. OH JOY!
Don't need to know the age as its not got to be sva'd (going into a westfield rebuild). Just need to know what it is.

nitram38 - 27/4/06 at 07:09 PM

I contacted the dvla about my engine as it is barely readable. I do not have a V5 but I know the reg of the car I got it from. I gave them the part of the engine number that I could read.
They said that they could not give me any details under the data protection act.
They did give me a letter to say that the car it came from was 1994, but could not confirm that it was the original engine.

Jobs worths or what!

flak monkey - 27/4/06 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
BUt my engine didn't come with a v5. Just from the scrappy/local dismantalers.

Doesnt matter. All engines have their own number, usually stamped into the block near the casting identification numbers. Always stamped numbers as each number is in theory individual. The numbers are always stamped on a clean machined surface, not onto a rough cast one.

Should narrow down the places to look.

Mansfield - 27/4/06 at 08:14 PM

All I can find is this, left to right.

Seven digits stamped (3 on top, 4 on bottom) into a machined surface.

Three digit cast number.

The long ones denotes casting year & spec I think.

Three digit cast numbers.

My guess is a combination of the long casting number and the stamped numbers as a suffix. Rescued attachment P4270147.jpg
Rescued attachment P4270147.jpg

Mansfield - 27/4/06 at 08:16 PM

My second engine (1992) has a very rusty area where the first engine (1984) has the stamped numbers. I dont think I will ever be able to read these.

Wadders - 27/4/06 at 08:20 PM

B's are totally different, generator is a seperate external unit and sits under the carbs, while 'C' onwards its on the end of the crank inside the left hand casing. 'C' engines have a camshaft position sensor on the head 'E' engines dont, although the casting for the hole is still there but not machined. Hope this helps, u2u me if you need further help.
ATB
Al

Problem i have is, i've got a zx9r engine, no number on it and don't know if its a B C or E engine. OH JOY!
Don't need to know the age as its not got to be sva'd (going into a westfield rebuild). Just need to know what it is.

greggors84 - 27/4/06 at 10:41 PM

I was told by the SVA man that they often come across engines that have been rebuilt using components from different engines and the numbers may have been ground off.

He said he would accept an engine number stamped by hand as long he could easily see it.

Find your self another block, claim the indentity off that, grind that number off so it cant be used again. Then stamp that number on your block, as long as its the same type of engine.

Use this advice at your own risk though, this is what i was advised by my friendly local SVA tester. Yours may object to it.

nitram38 - 27/4/06 at 10:51 PM

My engine number is a pig to get to and almost impossible to read with a mirror. Hopefully the sva man has one of those flexible camera thingy's

Paul G - 28/4/06 at 08:24 AM

The engine number on my R1 engine was ground off before I bought it, I just left it like this, told them about it in advance (but took the receipt for the engine) and it passed the SVA and DVLA inspections with no problem earlier this year

DarrenW - 28/4/06 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
My engine number is a pig to get to and almost impossible to read with a mirror. Hopefully the sva man has one of those flexible camera thingy's

Try pushing some blue tack or similar onto the area, peel it off and you may be able to read the numbers (might have to rub some oil acroess first to stop the blue tack sticking too much). My block had been painted so i carefully wire brushed the number area and was easily readable afterwards.

nitram38 - 28/4/06 at 10:45 AM

I like the blue tack idea.
My engine is a k series and the numbers are very faint. They are lots of dots punched to create letters.
I will give it a go!

DarrenW - 28/4/06 at 10:52 AM

The dot punch effect is a standard factory punching method. Its like a dot matrix printer for the assembly line. Carefully wire brushing will remove the crap in the dots and should brighten up the surface a bit. The other trick is to spray some black over the numbers (cleaned) and then very lightly polish the machined surface back with fine emery tape to reveal the black dots.

Dependant on how feint they are go careful with above method.