Board logo

Westfield rear shock qn
goodguydrew - 13/5/11 at 10:23 AM

Hi,
I bought two rear westfield shocks for my Champion book chassis. When fitting them, they are about 2" too long. Is it possible to buy shorter springs to suit the shock?
I have already fabricated the lower axle brackets on the shock, as per the book drawings.
Thanks.

[Edited on 13/5/11 by goodguydrew]

MikeRJ - 13/5/11 at 11:15 AM

You can buy shorter springs, but this won't resolve the problem very well. By simply fitting a shorter spring, you have immediately used 2 inches of the dampers travel, and since the damper will likely have a maximum stroke of 4 inches this means you have only 2 inches of useful travel left. In fact with the bump stop there's probably even less.

jonrotheray - 13/5/11 at 12:16 PM

I have a similar problem - with 12.5" shocks at full droop my axle is resting on the chassis rails, and only about an inch clear with me sitting in the car.

I think maybe I need shorter shocks - so they are around 10"-11" at full droop, leaving a margin to avoid hitting the rails (and room to fit a bump stop on the rails).

I saw some AVOs recently on eBay that were the right sort of size, but more than I wanted to pay for s/h shocks.